IGNORED

Triple Mikuni Solex 40 on L3.1 Stroker

I bought a triple set of Solex 40PHH carbys a while back to put on my L24, but lately I've been entertaining

the idea of buying an L28 and building a 3.1 stroker. I know its probably not worth the expense and trouble

to go for this sort of engine, but I love the sound and extra torque ( with a bit more top end power ) that

you'd get with a stroker motor. This engine would be built over a long period of time ( to spread out the costs)

post-20477-14150818968724_thumb.jpg

My question I guess is has anyone used 40mm Solex Carbies on a Stroker motor? Would they be too small

or can they be modified to flow better? I'm no expert on Carburetors, or do I need to go to 44mm Solex

Carbs? I'd rather keep my existing ones if I can. And I'd like to stay with Solexes rather than Webers.

I wouldn't be trying to build a monster race motor, just

one that can cruise easily with probably a mild cam in it.

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

post-20477-14150818968028_thumb.jpg

I'm not an expert but from what I've read, 40mm is a little small for an all out 3.1 stroker but if you stick with a mild cam and max out the choke tubes I suspect it will be a wonderful combination. For reference, I'm running 44's with 34mm chokes on my 3.0 stroker with a big cam/ported heads in a track car. The 34mm chokes cause this combination to be under carbed but it's still a blast to drive. It makes gobs of torque and pulls hard to red line. Unless you do a bunch of head work I don't think the engine you are building will be any more undercarbed than mine.

Just my $0.02.

If you want a real expert's opinion talk to Todd at Wolfe Creek racing.

zredbaron on hybridz made something like 268whp out of his stroker with 40's but I think they are webers. If you build up a 2.8 and a 3.1 the same way (compression, intake exhaust, cam, carbs, etc), the end result will be approximately the same hp per liter, and you'll get roughly 10% more power out of the 3.1. If you have the stroker crank and 9mm L24 rods, go for it, but I personally wouldn't spend thousands of dollars more on the stroker if the result is 20 hp. I'd spend a little more money on the 2.8 build rather than buying all the parts for the 3.1 build. A little more head work, a little more aggressive cam, better ignition, exhaust, etc. will yield more power per dollar IMO.

I am in the middle of a debate/research now for my 3L build. I am going to have an E31 head done up to run about 10:1 CR. Right now the debate is to run the 40s I have or move up to 45s, Webers. The cam selection will be based on the carb I go with. I am looking for driveable car with nice tq and pulls hard to redline.....looking for about 250rwhp but not a deal breaker if it comes up short. I agree, lots of the "power" comes from the head work and cam - have to get the air in and out. Like you I am trying to learn the pros/cons and limitations of the different carb setups.

You could always go with a Giken head. If you can find and afford one....

HaHa, If I could afford an OS Giken head, then I'd probably buy an S20 instead. I've already got a LD28 crank, so I'm at crossroads now.

My L24 has a E30 head, with a E31 block, not sure if I should just stroke this motor or go for an L28 instead.

Thanks for the commments guys. I'll take them on board.

Cheers.