IGNORED

License and Registration Please

Bonzi Lon

Pennsylvania is $ 0 if you have a "Classic" plate, when I got mine the car had to be 10 years old and out of production. I have paid nothing for registration fees on my car for 26 years.

The cars need to be inspected for safety only, not emissions.

Regular car registration is $36 with both safety and emission testing. Safety and emission test is usually around $75.

Virginia is $25.00 fee and it's good for life. The car has to be over 25 years old. There is no personal property tax and no inspections of any kind required! Pretty awesome. I can register the 90 300ZX in 3 years as an antique.

$28.19 in Alabama for 1 year. Antique plates get pulled over alot around here because your only supposed to drive to and in, then home, from car shows or parades. They're $50 1 time but I would rather pay per year for a current tag. A friend from high school that's a Police Officer say's "Not to draw too much attention by running antique plates. The crack dealers use old cars with antique plates". Cheap Bastards.

I'm with pop's z. That is anything '75 and older when you get collector plates.

We used to have a 25 yr rolling exemption till we passed the roads and bridges TAX in '09. The good thing, anything 25 yrs and older were grandfathered in for the collector plates as long as you kept them current or sold the car.Now you can get the collector plates for '75 and older.

Registration fees start to decline until the cars are 10 yrs old. The they are at their lowest at about $70, This includes the $40 R&B TAX. emissions testing yearly for '76 to '81, '82 and newer get tested every 2 yrs.

Virginia is $25.00 fee and it's good for life. The car has to be over 25 years old. There is no personal property tax and no inspections of any kind required! Pretty awesome. I can register the 90 300ZX in 3 years as an antique.

Well, that's if you get antique plates. But with antique plates, you're technically limited as to how/when/where you can drive the car. I have regular Virginia plates, which are $40.75 state registration.

And THEN there's county personal property tax. (Don't you have to pay those in Richmond?) York County is the "bend over and squeal like a pig" county. They think my Z is worthless, so I only have to pay $4.70 tax and $23 county fees for it. I also have to pay the EZ-Pass bargain rate of $0.85 everytime I cross a bridge. (Damned toll bridges!) Now if they thought my Z were worth as much as our late model truck (which it isn't), I'd have to pay $159 county personal property tax + $23 county fees to keep it on the road. Also the state registration fee for a truck is a bit higher, at $45.75. That would be a grand total (state and local) of $182 clams per year! Gah!

York county once even taxed me every year on my CAMERA. The bloodless bastards!

BTW, about the inspections -- They may not be required for an antique vehicle (not even for my Z with standard plates), but you do have to file an affidavit certifying that your car is safe. If you end up in court over some accident, you'll be the certifying authority and will have to defend both your qualifications and every aspect of your car. If *I* end up in court over an accident, I can say, "My car easily passes the yearly state safety inspection, with never a problem," and that's the end of discussion. That privilege costs me $15 per year. Well worth it, IMO.

Edited by FastWoman

No inspections, no taxes, no fees........none! You can drive anywhere for pleasure within 200 mile radius of your house and anywhere for shows or service. You can't use as daily transportation (to and from work or for commercial use).

Pops Z and Darrel, I had to pay $69 for 1 year on my 75, which was with all the fees. Maybe I should go back and ask for collector plates.

Definitely worth it to get 5 yr plates if you know you will be keeping the car longer than 5 yrs. You will save on the R&B TAX. You only have to pay that once at every renewal instead of paying it 5 times if you keep the yearly plates. No need to go back, just get the collector plates the next time you renew.

Rich, your registration included a $100 penalty($25/month, max $100) for letting the tags lapse.

If you were fortunate enough to have something newer than '75 and got collector plates before the R&B tax took effect, don't let your tags expire.

And with the 5 yr plates you only have to do the emission test once, if you live in an area that requires emissions.

Edited by Darrel