IGNORED

$69 NISSAN 280Z Chip 60 Horsepower Increase, yada, yada, yada (GForce chip)

FastWoman

... or so says the sponsored link at the top of the S30 Forum page! LOL

So this electronic snake oil product supposedly plugs into the air intake sensor via two wires. From that location, it supposedly reprograms the 280Z's (analog) ECU to unleash its hidden tiger, boosting horsepower by almost 50%. Whoa, baby! :rolleyes:

I have to question whether it's appropriate for this forum to post up sponsored links that make claims that absolutely cannot be true. Ignoring all other aspects of their dubious claims, there is no way to program or reprogram an analog ECU. Trust me, I know. I spent many a year designing and building linear circuits such as those controlling our engines. There's also no way it can reprogram ignition timing (as claimed), which is not a function of the ECU. Ignition timing is under entirely mechanical control. And then there's the matter of connectivity. Supposedly a 14 pin SIP is going to connect via only 2 wires? OK... Well, there's the power supply to the chip, which is 2 wires, and then there's the some sort of interface for communications... er.... but WAIT! That's more than 2 wires! :stupid:

For anyone who is interested in this chip, I will offer the following perspective:

It's a one-size-fits-all product. That means one product for every fuel injection system ever conceived, whether digital or analog, vane-type, MAF, or MAP sensor, O2 sensor or not. How do I know it's the same chip for all vehicles? It's because they boast that their product will not void the factory warranty on our (ANTIQUE!) ECUs. Could it be any plainer than that? If only my 1978 ECU were still under warranty, I'd have Nissan replace it in a heartbeat. LOL It also claims to alter ignition timing, which is beyond the reach of our primitive L-Jet systems, but which IS generally controlled by most later-generation ECUs. Finally, it's supposedly appropriate to reprogram our vehicles no matter how they are modified -- blowers, nitrous, triple Mikunis, you name it!

Could this device work on ANY vehicle as described? No. However, I won't go into the reasons here. I'll only say that altering the air intake temp sensor circuit is generally the least impactful way to muck up a fuel injection system. So people install this thing, it does nothing, and they think they have some increase in power because the alternative is that they just wasted $69 like a perfect idiot. Either that, or they are less prideful and demand a refund. No biggie for the company -- cheap device, cheap shipping, no shortage of suckers who will actually keep the thing.

I really hope to persuade the admins to decline this sponsor. Their claims are patently fraudulent. There's no way even to give them the benefit of the doubt. What they claim is physically and electronically impossible, and they obviously don't have sufficient familiarity with the Datsun 280Z to realize it is an antique vehicle not under factory warranty, or to understand that our (analog) ECUs have no programming.

Edited by FastWoman

Interesting. However, I've never been interested in such a chip and have never googled either this chip or any other. In fact it's been a very long time since I've googled ANY performance item for my car (or any other car).

It's all text:

$69 NISSAN 280Z Chip 60 Horsepower 7 MPG Savings Boost Easy Installation Custom ECU Chip www.GFChips.com

Cars Get a great new Toyota at prices that will blow you away! www.BuyAToyotaCamry.com

Replacement Fuel Injector Get back on the road fast! Buy new Stock OEM Fuel Injectors Here Now.

Here's the really creepy part. I just sent someone a personal message in which I said I have new aftermarket injectors (OEM specs). Note the third ad.

Funny, you supposedly get the same performance enhancement, no matter the make/model. For instance, you can supposedly get up to 60 hp more out of a Geo Metro! That would probably triple the horsepower, and double the top end, given the right tailwind.

Interesting. However, I've never been interested in such a chip and have never googled either this chip or any other. In fact it's been a very long time since I've googled ANY performance item for my car (or any other car).

The interwebs are using mind control.

Sounds like they're trying to keep the forum running. Unless you all want to be charged an annual fee in exchange for the use of this forum, ignore the ads and don't worry about it. I've never even noticed them until now, and I bet they mostly or completely go away if you donate to the site. If someone is stupid enough to buy it, then so be it. That's Capitalism in action.

I have seen these things marketed under different brands including ebay making the same claims. The gist of it is they add a simple electronic part (usually its a resistor) to your air intake sensor (usually mass air) and it modifies the information from that sensor by a static amount, causing your computer to change the air fuel ratio. FastWoman, as an electrical engineer and automotive computer master you know that most electronic sensors output resistance readings and adding an inline resistor (or IC that has resistance) would create a static increase in whatever that sensor puts out. Then they package this magic part into a fancy package and sell it with ridiculous claims. In theory it should make a change to how the car runs and i would bet that under very specific conditions it actually does increase power, but the reality is its probably causing a reduction in power under most conditions and breaking things in general. Absolute junk product in case that wasnt clear enough :) By the way the ads are provided automagically and i suspect they are using the google adsense system so if you sign out of google your ads will probably change.