• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

ksbeta

ksbeta

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • LocationFalls Church, VA
Ran Across DatsunPartsLLC's eBay posting today for a rattle can of paint for restoring the 240z Tail Light shroud. Great, except that it's $30/can, plus another $12 for shipping. I can't seem to find much on the subject; does anyone know a good alternative for getting close to the original color that doesn't does $42 for a can of spraypaint?

Thanks much,
Bill

Ref: http://www.ebay.com/...#ht_1162wt_1037

cygnusx1

cygnusx1

Marooned Fish

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • LocationPutnam Valley, New York, United States
If you don't need exact, go down to autoparts and look at the selection of Dupli-Color stuff. Home depot also has some interesting paints. I ended up using flat black and I really prefer the look.
Dave C, Putnam, NY :D
NYZCC - Membership Director

Posted Image

72 OJ

72 OJ

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • LocationFulton MD
I used a 8$ flat black paint made for barbecue grills , it is heat resistant and applies with ease, no drips and looks great ;)

Edited by 72 OJ, 26 April 2012 - 05:24 PM.

Disfrute el paseo
Posted ImagePosted Image
Silver Cali 72 Z with an LS1 conversion ''Z-VETTE''
and MY EX TOYS... 72 Cali 240Z ''ORANGINA'' and 72 Cali two door 510 ''BROCKEE''

Arne

Arne

Semi-retired admin

• Administrators
  • 8,466 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon, USA
There is a Duplicolor choice that is close in shade, but way too glossy. I used the paint from Classic Datsun Motorsports on mine. It's just about as expensive, but I'll bet Les charges less to ship. http://classicdatsun.com/
Arne - Former owner, HLS30-37705, 7/71, 905 Red
Car blogs - 240Z - Porsche 911

ZCurves

ZCurves

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts
  • LocationSpring, Texas USA
Here is a link to what I did for my Z, the results were fantastic and it looks like a factory finish.

http://www.classiczc...ull=1#post90742

Edited by ZCurves, 26 April 2012 - 07:10 PM.

Andrew (ZCurves)
1978 Coupe - HLS30-440105
Spring, Texas USA

pro deo et patria
My Albumz

Travel'n Man

Travel'n Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts
  • LocationThe Twisty's of Western North Carolina
I bought a can from Les - took it to the PPG shop in my hometown - had them mix up some PPG paint to color with some clear mixed in - and air'd it on. Turned out beautiful and a much better protected coat of paint. Then I ebayed the rattle can and got my money back. Worked great for me and the tail finisher is painted correctly................PPG is not cheap though. My hometown Auto Paint Supply house can custom mix a little as 2 ounces - if you mix that 50/50 with a good reducer it works great.

Life's a journey; enjoy the ride!

Mitchell
L28 - N42 Block w/Flat tops - N42 Rebello Head & Cam - Triple 40 PHH Mikuni's - Headers - Recaro Seats -
R180 LSD 3.9 Diff - Close Ratio 5 Speed - Vented Brake Upgrade w/ Porterfield High Performance Pads & Shoes

1972 Datsun 240z

IMG_0066.jpg

HLS30-75040

Bonzi Lon

Bonzi Lon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationKingman, Kansas

Here is a link to what I did for my Z, the results were fantastic and it looks like a factory finish.

http://www.classiczc...ull=1#post90742

That is the paint I used, however, because of the 'gloss' I put on 2 light coats of clear matt finish. The same process was used on the grill and wheel covers.

Bonzi Lon
1973 HLS30-168500
1968 SPL311-18100
1969 HLS30-000110 SOLD Shipped to Dubai UAE
CZCC#11300

Ones and Zeros

"We drive only blue cars." Dishwalla

26th-Z

26th-Z

Her Majesty the 26th

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,865 posts
  • LocationSarasota, Florida
My thoughts on the subject from many years ago. http://www.classiczc...r valance color

It appears as though some posts from the thread have been deleted - doesn't surprise me. So please don't take my condescending tone out of context! It is my belief that the "correct" color matches the hubcaps and the front grill. A charcoal / metalic dark grey. It is a satin finish but not rough in texture, in-other-words, you can wax the finish.
Enjoy the Ride
HLS30-00026
HLS30-00027
http://home.earthlin...nzel/index.html
Go Gators
Go Butler Bulldogs

redzedsled

redzedsled

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationCanada
I used a Dupli-Color Engine paint called "Cast Coat Iron". It is extremely close to the color you want without the cost.

ironhelix

ironhelix

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationRocklin, CA

I bought a can from Les - took it to the PPG shop in my hometown - had them mix up some PPG paint to color with some clear mixed in - and air'd it on. Turned out beautiful and a much better protected coat of paint. Then I ebayed the rattle can and got my money back. Worked great for me and the tail finisher is painted correctly................PPG is not cheap though. My hometown Auto Paint Supply house can custom mix a little as 2 ounces - if you mix that 50/50 with a good reducer it works great.

Do you have the "mix" info for the PPG paint? The shop I go to can do about anything.

EScanlon

EScanlon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,874 posts
  • LocationVancouver, WA
Ironhelix, see post #8 and follow the link. The formula from Wick Humble's book is listed there.

E
71 240 920 Gold
72 240 Orange
73 240 Red
67 1600 Sports Roadster Spicy Orange Mica
68 2000 Sports Roadster Red

ironhelix

ironhelix

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationRocklin, CA
Geez. I even have a copy of Wick's book. Thanks for the help.

bpilati

bpilati

Admin

• Administrators
  • 1,489 posts
  • LocationVA
Looks like we have a duplicate thread here.

For original look, go here: http://www.classicdatsun.com/
They carry the original paint color used in the 240Z restoration program by Nissan.
Bryan Pilati
1971 Datsun 240Z (8/71; 920 paint)
IZCC #583; TZCC #16; CZC #110
I'm never serious unless I should be.

siteunseen

siteunseen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,149 posts
  • LocationAlabama
Question on the Duplicolor #102 Graphite. I've sprayed my rear finisher 2 or 3 times. In between coats I've knocked the sheen off with 0000 steel wool. It looks so good dull I want to spray the matte clear over the lightly sanded Duplicolor. Would that be a mistake? It get's the metallic looking sparkles out but everything I've read says spray the matte straight on the Duplicolor. I'm guessing "it's up to you" will be the consensus but was hoping to hear someone else had done the same.
Thanks for any experiences.
Cliff

1972 240Z #918 Orange
1977 280Z #305 Light Blue Metallic
1972 240Z #110 Persimmons Red

Bonzi Lon

Bonzi Lon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationKingman, Kansas
I sprayed the clear right over the cured graphite. No one at any Z-car show has said it is the wrong color. :)

Bonzi Lon
1973 HLS30-168500
1968 SPL311-18100
1969 HLS30-000110 SOLD Shipped to Dubai UAE
CZCC#11300

Ones and Zeros

"We drive only blue cars." Dishwalla

tamo3

tamo3

'75 280z

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
I sprayed graphite and matt clear on the top of it.n I only use steel wool scribble once BEFORE spray paint, not between spray multiple coating.

The result looks like this.
IMG_6365.png
'75/280z

siteunseen

siteunseen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,149 posts
  • LocationAlabama
Thanks guys, that looks perfect. I think I was taking the "match striker" look too literal. 1 more question though. Mine have a black strip painted on the red plastic. Do I need to do this or is it something a previous owner did? What did you all do? Pictures below.
Thanks for your help,
Cliff.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00637.jpg
  • DSC00638.jpg

1972 240Z #918 Orange

psdenno

psdenno

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • LocationSoCal Desert
If you get the reproduction chrome trim pieces that cover that area and attach through the holes in the lenses, no worries about the black lines. Your originals are removed. Ebay and MSA are your friends for that task.
Dennis
1971 240Z - Original Owner
2010 Infiniti G37 Convertible

siteunseen

siteunseen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,149 posts
  • LocationAlabama
Thanks Dennis, I'd read about the reproduction strips but mine are in pretty good shape for now. I only broke off a 1/4" of that center post removing them and am hoping silicone dobbs will hold it in place until I am ready to do a full on restoration.
After removing them I found that black paint on the red lenses. At 1st I thought it could be soot but it's paint. I don't see the need to re apply it as the strips will cover that area, but if it's needed I'll do it.

OK, now I've found where Dr 240Z has his painted, didn't notice earlier when I read his write up, http://www.classiczc...urbishment.html
Thanks again Dr 240Z.

Edited by siteunseen, 15 August 2014 - 12:53 AM.

1972 240Z #918 Orange

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users