IGNORED

Air flow from the blower motor

WattTheHeli

Has anyone done any mods to the air conditioner vent? I am considering removing about half of the diverters that direct the air flow to the side vents so I can get more air through the center vents. I went through the system several years ago and replaced the rotting foam seals with new foam and that greatly improved the air flow. Still the hole from the diverter to allow air to the middle vents is pretty small if you ask me.

Are there any red flags on this or can I proceed knowing I can always fashion them back at a later time if desired?

Thanks,

Chris

I rarely post because I know the answer can usually be found with some well chosen words in the search or, if I go forward with the task the answer will present itself. The latter is the case! The red flag hit me square in the face when I was reassembling the vents. Both ducts to the side vent, unbeknownst to me, had come loose in a joint behind the dash that I had forgotten about.

For the time being I taped off the outlets so all of the air is directed to the middle vents. I will replace the ducts to the side vents with a solid hose so this won’t happen again.

Thanks for the “air time”

Chris

I rarely post because I know the answer can usually be found with some well chosen words in the search or, if I go forward with the task the answer will present itself. The latter is the case! The red flag hit me square in the face when I was reassembling the vents. Both ducts to the side vent, unbeknownst to me, had come loose in a joint behind the dash that I had forgotten about.

For the time being I taped off the outlets so all of the air is directed to the middle vents. I will replace the ducts to the side vents with a solid hose so this won’t happen again.

Thanks for the “air time”

Chris

I bought some 2 inch vent hose from a vendor on Amazon a while back. It worked well for me.

Thanks for the lead. It can be surprising how hard it is to find what you may otherwise think of as a common item. The upside to all of this is I knew in my gut that the engineers that designed the duct system for the heating and air more than likely had a better understanding of the mechanics of air flow than I did so I didn’t remove the afore mentioned diverters.

I have very decent air flow now that I have sealed off all of the leaks but I am curious to know what year and model Honda blower to buy when mine gives out. Hopefully that will be a while because the motor doesn’t have a lot of hours on it and I pulled it apart and gave the bearings a good oiling a few weeks ago.