IGNORED

70-74.5 or 74.5-xxx

Hmmm, I didn't think about the indentations in the quarters. The OP said that the front wasn't stock, so we just relied on the build date. You are right though, the late 260 didn't have them.

Hey Dr. Wombat, can you post your VIN? We can tell more with that.

Here is my 11/74 260Z without the indentations in the rear quarters.

IMG_4664.jpg

Thanks for the pic Jeff. I couldn't find a reliable pix of a late 260. The front of the OP Z looks like a stock early 260 except for the air dam. When I bought my 260 it looked similar to that... no turn signals, no bumper, and it had an air dam from a 280. I immediately scrounged some turn signals from a 280 and then when I went to mount them I was deflated...what I thought were turn signal brackets were part of the bumper mounts...

We have a club member's early 260 (3/74) in the shop and it has a small rear bumper but has shock holes for the later version bumper.

I look at frame rails to determine early and late versions (since I sell them and 260 owners aren't sure which style to order). Early 260s generally have 240 style rails and later 260s have the 280 rails installed.

I have seen 280 rails on a pre-June '74 260 but they could have been replaced by a POV.

As to coil-overs, I went the GC and Tokico HTS route with the internal biscuit camber set-up. This is similar to what John at Betamotorsports offers. The only welding required is the struts (cut down) and those can be farmed out to a professional. Rear suspension on my 240 has 250 springs, AR Z RCAs, a Suspension Technique sway bar and is set at 2.2 degrees negative and 1/16 toe. Fronts have 275 lb springs, the ST sway bar, LCAs w/heim joints and the pivot point moved up 3/4-inch along with TTT TC rods. Bumps steer spacers and Z Car Customs outer tie rods (straight so the angle a stock tie rod has coupled with a lowered car doesn't put added stress on the inner tie rod). Front camber is 2.2, with a 1/16 of toe and 3.7 degrees of caster. Ride can be soft or harsh depending on the activity planned for the vehicle that day.

post-26877-14150818416455_thumb.jpgwell....

i feel stupid, and happy i haven't ordered parts(struts/springs)

build date is 12/73 NOT 12/74. i guess i shouldn't try and read in the dark post beer...

anyway here's pics

for some reason the site will not accept the dash vin pic, but it matches the door jam...

sooooo... being an early 260, all my suspension stuffs will be 240 parts, correct?

thanks in advance,

-Dr. W

post-26877-14150818414532_thumb.jpg

post-26877-14150818415194_thumb.jpg

post-26877-141508184158_thumb.jpg

[ATTACH=CONFIG]52631[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]52632[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]52633[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]52634[/ATTACH]well....

i feel stupid, and happy i haven't ordered parts(struts/springs)

build date is 12/73 NOT 12/74. i guess i shouldn't try and read in the dark post beer...

anyway here's pics

for some reason the site will not accept the dash vin pic, but it matches the door jam...

sooooo... being an early 260, all my suspension stuffs will be 240 parts, correct?

thanks in advance,

-Dr. W

First off, thanks for posting your engine plate! Some people don't want to believe that the L26 had more power than the L24. But back on topic...

As far as suspension parts go, not exactly. As I've learned from experience, the early 260Z is a very peculiar model in the Z-car line. The suspension is mostly 240Z, except for the front struts and steering rack. I have a thread here detailing some differences, with Dave's help.

As far as the rack goes, the 240Z rack bushings will not work, they are too narrow as I recall. 280Z rack bushings are the correct ones for both the early and late 260Z. As far as I remember, the rest of the suspension should be very similar to late 240Zs. Let me know if you have any questions about your Z, I've really enjoyed getting to know my early 260!

Jeff, thanks. Mine also is missing the rubber bump guards that I see on yours. I know it is missing the rubber spacers between the bumper and body as well. I intend to have it painted one day. I will look at going back to a chrome bumper at that time. Also, the original color is orange. The number is missing off the paint color sticker under the hood. Does anyone know the number for orange?

Jeff, thanks. Mine also is missing the rubber bump guards that I see on yours. I know it is missing the rubber spacers between the bumper and body as well. I intend to have it painted one day. I will look at going back to a chrome bumper at that time. Also, the original color is orange. The number is missing off the paint color sticker under the hood. Does anyone know the number for orange?

It would be 110 Red, same as my 260Z.

Ref: http://zhome.com/History/ZColorGallary/index.html