IGNORED

79-83 280zx hatch window seal replacement

dgcamp58

I'm guessing many of you know that the rear hatch window weather strip seal (79-83 280zx) has been out of production for many years with no substitute available. This might be a crazy idea, so I thought i would throw it out there. Thinking of purchasing hatch, breaking out window in order to remove hatch seal & trim intact to reinstall in my 1980 280zx when paint is complete. Body shop destroyed old seal removing window for paint thinking these were readily available. Has anybody gone this route? Think it's doable?

The seals are actually salvageable without destroying a hatch if they are in good shape and still pliable. If the seals are old and crusty they wont be pliable enough to use with your glass anyway. So the way i see it, if you cant pull the seal out of another vehicle intact you didnt want it anyway. Black dragon lists new seals for that model pretty cheap actually: http://www.blackdragonauto.com/features/z/zrh3.htm

The seals are actually salvageable without destroying a hatch if they are in good shape and still pliable. If the seals are old and crusty they wont be pliable enough to use with your glass anyway. So the way i see it, if you cant pull the seal out of another vehicle intact you didnt want it anyway. Black dragon lists new seals for that model pretty cheap actually: http://www.blackdragonauto.com/features/z/zrh3.htm

I see the hatch seal for sale but not the glass seal.

I've checked Black Dragon and every possible source. They have been out of production for many years. In my search I have read threads back as far as 08 til present. Same problem, no solution except to urethane glass in. I really don't want to do that. I have a lot of time and $ into this restoration. Want to do it right. Check ebay daily hoping somebody finds one on an old dusty forgotten shelf. There are complete seal kits for 70-78 280 but very little for 79-83. Z source had seal, but only for 2+2 model. Dimensions differ greatly

This is what i would do. Buy another hatch with glass have the new one painted and installed without pulling the glass.

Have your hatch painted also and store it until new rubber is available.

I have a nice hatch no wiper with glass and trim i would sell for 100 bucks no rust. Come get it.

BGM

This is what i would do. Buy another hatch with glass have the new one painted and installed without pulling the glass.

Have your hatch painted also and store it until new rubber is available. BGM

Yup i see it now, major bummer. BGM has the best plan i think. My car was painted in the 90's with the rubber in place (ive since repainted) and while i wouldnt choose to do that the paint job didnt look terrible around the seals, its not a bad option

Not a bad idea. I found a thread from last March that a company called Z specialties was doing R&D for the window gaskets. I gave them a call and spoke to a very nice young lady who is going to talk to "the powers that be" and get back to me to let me know where they are on that.

Not a bad idea. I found a thread from last March that a company called Z specialties was doing R&D for the window gaskets. I gave them a call and spoke to a very nice young lady who is going to talk to "the powers that be" and get back to me to let me know where they are on that.

I get parts from them all the time. The guy orders stuff from Nissan Japan and claims he can get just about anything. Super nice people