IGNORED

Rallye wheels ebay

Unkle

You're really having a hard time with price of those wheels, aren't-ya 5th?! Welcome to the car collecting hobby! I wonder if Jim Faria bought them. He brought his very well done rallye replica to the Nashville convention.

post-4148-1415081812295_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

26th, I'm choaking on that number. I suppose that if I were that obsessed with a car that I would drop 5 grand on a set of wheels, my girlfriend would have a net thrown over me and I would do hard time in a rubber room. Now if you have the original car, and those wheels make an $80,000 car worth $90 or $100,000, I could see it. But like I said, I'm chokin'.

Me to , chokin' and shock, that price plus shipping and they need to be restore,,,,,wow, it makes feel good that I own a car that has blue blood relatives.:cool: But on the other hand I have seen guys with 510 that paid 2G's for a PLASTIC JDM SSS grill.;)

Edited by 72 OJ

26th, I'm choaking on that number. I suppose that if I were that obsessed with a car that I would drop 5 grand on a set of wheels, my girlfriend would have a net thrown over me and I would do hard time in a rubber room. Now if you have the original car, and those wheels make an $80,000 car worth $90 or $100,000, I could see it. But like I said, I'm chokin'.

So, why pay millions for a Picasso paint, isn`t it the same feeling? You have millions of paints from millions of people (and good ones too), why buy a Picasso them?

These wheels are special and unique. if you see them close or in person, i would say that you change your mind. Besides that these have history too. You can have some wheels that looks like, but these are the originals ones.

Thanks

Filipe

In 1975 an ounce of gold averaged $160.86

In 2007 an ounce of Gold averaged $695.39.

Today a ounce of Gold is around $1684.00....

So "IF" the wheels were worth $104.14 each in 1975 or $416.57 for the set of four.

and:

So "IF" the wheels were worth $450.00 each in 2007 or $1800.00 for the set of four.

The wheels would have to be worth $4,361.56 today, just to keep pace with the devaluation of the Dollars purchasing power.

In effect - the wheels cost the same today as they might have in 1975 used. If they were worth more than that in 1975 - then the owners along the way lost a bit of value.

FWIW,

Carl B.

5th,

I get the Porsche 356 Registry magazine, very nice club magazine BTW, and one of my favorite regular articles deals with transactions within their realm. The examples range from new parts, used parts, and memorabilia just like our z-car world. I'm just gobsmacked with some of the stuff I see and what people are willing to pay. I remember buying a set of tools for my dad's car, how 'expensive' they were at the time, and now picking my jaw up off the floor for the same stuff. On the other hand, I don't see Datsun items increasing in value as fast. That could just be me, though.

This wheels story has been a fun and memorable experience. One we will surely discuss over a few beers! Hope to tip one with the new proud owner some day.

It's hard to beat the pedigree of the Kobe Seiko manufactured Nissan works 'Rally' wheels in terms of relevance to the S30-series Z.

Designed by Nissan staff expressly for competition use, manufactured by a company with a long history in magnesium wheel manufacture ( they were making them during the Pacific War period for Japanese imperial army and navy aircraft ) and quite likely the very first competition wheel used in anger by an S30-series Z.

I have a main undercarriage wheel from a Ki-43 Nakajima 'Hayabusa' in my collection, and it's fascinating to think that this piece of war materiel was manufactured by the same company which cast and machined the wheels on my 432R replica project car some 30 years later.

The KS 'Rally' wheels were never sold to the general public. If you own a set, then you own something that was almost certainly used in period by Nissan's works rally team on a works rally Z. You own a piece of Z competition history.

Well done Filipe. Well done buyer. I know they are going to a good home.

Cheers,

Alan T.

post-2116-14150818126129_thumb.jpg

post-2116-14150818127303_thumb.jpg

post-2116-14150818128287_thumb.jpg

post-2116-141508181291_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Okay fellas, pump your brakes. Anybody here actually willing to cough up $5K for these things and bolt them up to your car? I think of Conedogers handle every time I get behind the wheel and think of myself as createrdodger. I'm struggling with the thought of putting 16" wheels on in place of the existing 14" for fear of hurting them on these crappy American roads.

Using the above math, I could put new rubber, rims and paint on my car for the price of a set of used 1975 rims.

I UNDERSTAND the historical significance and heritage of the wheels, I do, however these wheels, like any Picasso, belong on a museum piece, not a street car.

And I’m still choakin…………..

Okay fellas, pump your brakes. Anybody here actually willing to cough up $5K for these things and bolt them up to your car?

I did.

OK maybe I didn't exactly pay $5k as I bought them some time ago now, but the point's the same; I'd do it again. They are special.

They are also immensely strong. I had mine X-rayed, crack tested and re-chromated. Maybe you think the owner should be crack tested, but I say it's OK if you don't understand: You can enjoy your car without spending this kind of money in just the way that a collectable vintage wristwatch will tell the same time as a Casio G-Shock. Nothing wrong with a a G-Shock...

Remember these are wheels made for rallying. They were fitted to cars that won the E.A. Safari Rally twice ( 1971 and 1973 ) and as long as you make sure that they are in good condition - it's a case-by-case thing - they are fine. They are still being used on historic rally cars today, so they are still a practical proposition.

They are not actually all that expensive if you compare them like-for-like with other rare automotive collectibles, as 26th-Z pointed out. If you think they are expensive for what they are, then you'll choke all the more on the thought of a $3.5k steering wheel ( I kid you not! )...

Here's my little bit of madness:

post-2116-14150818129465_thumb.jpg

• Like 1