IGNORED

240z External Hard drive..

280~Master

A Snuggie decorated with a Datsun Z pattern could work (SnuZZie?). After all, they sell them with University logos. And at $9.99 (perhaps a bit more after licensing fees to Nissan) it's a much better impulse buy than a Z hard drive. What better Christmas gift for the Z fan in your life?

Dennis

Edited by psdenno

I am not wearing a Z snuggie, unlike sblake LOL , (does it get cold enough in Cali for snuggies anyhow?), but I do have a Datsun on my desk. It would be cool if that "Desksun" had a purpose besides wasting my desk real estate.

Maybe the Californians would be better served by a satin "smoking snuggie" for dealing with the three or four dreary days every millennium.

Edited by cygnusx1

Here's my take on a Z based external hard drive enclosure... Just a few pieces of wood, some glue and nails, stain, lacquer, and (although it's hard to see in the photos) rubberized undercoating.

Why use the undercoating? I didn't want the base to rust, of course!

Actually, I thought it'd be a nice touch to have what appeared (in color and texture) to be blacktop that the car was setting on. I was going to go for a concrete appearance by topcoating with a grey primer, then add a few drops of oil underneath, but thought that might be going to far...

As I didn't have the micro usb cable with me at home, the hole I drilled for it is too small, but that's easily remedied.

(and the additional holes were drilled not for looks, but to assuage any fears of overheating of the drive)

post-11908-1415081799405_thumb.jpg

post-11908-14150817995236_thumb.jpg

post-11908-14150817996297_thumb.jpg

post-11908-14150817997355_thumb.jpg

Edited by zbane

@zbane: now, that I like! A die cast stand/hard drive enclosure. I could put the die cast of my choice on it for the week or day/whatever. I'm literally surrounded by die casts when I'm in my den.

@cygnusx1: I don't own a snuggie (snugZZie?) nor a satin smoking snuggie (don't smole).

@ SBlake, thanks! The thought of being able to swap out the car for others was the whole idea. I like that the drive will be out of the way, hidden (less clutter) and provide a nice place to display ones diecast, without hacking into it.

Only took a little while to make with nothing more than a few hand tools, and required a couple dollars worth of materials.

Only took a little while to make with nothing more than a few hand tools, and required a couple dollars worth of materials.

When you do a cost analysis of the product, be sure to include:

Value of your time & labor to create each stand

Cost of materials

Cost of hard drive

Cost of cables

Cost of model included with base (must have a model to be visually exciting)

Packaging

Shipping materials/boxes

Value of your time for packing & shipping

Advertising

Depreciation on tools

Liability insurance

Are we much over $150 per, yet?

Dennis

Oh, I wasn't planning on selling them, just showing it can be done easily and cheaply for oneself. However, if you'd like I'll sell you the one in the pics (minus the drive) for $99.99...but I can't do this all day long, so if you call within the next 10 minutes, I'll throw in a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. All you'll have to pay is additional processing...

*some conditions apply (I might take a bite of the sandwich to ensure quality control)