IGNORED

Found a nice '83

cajunz

Hey guys, I found a nice '83 280zx NA coupe on a used car lot today. Stopped to give it a look and it was actually pretty nice with only 88k on the clock and from the condition of the car it looks accurate. I could not find a spot of rust on the car. It still had the original paint with clear coat starting to show its age on the hood. I checked around the windshield, fenders, doglegs, quarters, floorpans and under the battery and no rust. The owner of the lot said he sold the car new to the owner back when he worked for the local Nissan dealer. The owner is asking $6900. The interior is in pretty good shape with only a few small cracks in the dash. What do you thinks she's worth?

72 OJ, thanks for the response. The dash doesn't concern me too much as is. It's not too bad. I finally found the classic values section on NADA and her asking price is pretty much in line. I think I can get it for a little less, hopefully. I've looked at a lot of 280zx's and I'm amazed that there is no rust and no detectable body damage. A nice respray and you'd have a really nice ride. The car is a couple hours away but I'm gonna have to back and really check it out again.

The car lot will pocket 2 grand or more on the sale. If you got to have that car offer 4500

have cash on hand. When they say no leave your # and walk away.

Even at 4500 that is a lot for a zx. You should be able to find one for 3000 if you wait for it.

And if you are thinking of financing it through a car lot don't do it.

Black Gold Man, no way I'd finance. Cash on the barrel only. I'm going to have to go and drive it before I even think about making an offer. I'm just impressed by the fact that there was no rust I could find. I checked all the usual spots and nothing. It's been on the lot for over 6 mths so hopefully they will deal.

• 2 weeks later...

If it helps, I just bought an '83 with a straight body, rebuilt engine, new paint, nice stereo, only one rust spot that I can find (classic spot; above the windshield trim) and a completely restored interior for $3000. Car lot originally asked $4500 but then it sat for six months and I was the only person that had looked at it. Let me tell you... that gives you a LOT of bargaining leverage.