IGNORED

Differences between Transmission Crossmembers

spitz17

I am trying to source a transmission crossmember of this style:

post-20758-14150817553344_thumb.jpg

post-20758-14150817554015_thumb.jpg

post-20758-14150817555441_thumb.jpg

I only found one thread on this transmission crossmember (I'm probably blind), but I am curious to find more information on it:

1. What year(s) does this transmission cover?

2. Do transmission isolators work with all the three types?

post-20758-141508175553_thumb.jpg

3. Are there bushings (stock or energy) still available?

The other two types, for both manual and auto, I have seen (I currently have the one on the right):

post-20758-14150817554576_thumb.jpg

If anyone has one they'd like to either donate or sell, I'd be ever grateful :)

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Actually this question is very interesting. I have the crossmember from my 71 that is on the right. THe one labeled automatic. My car was never an automatic, so I a bit confused at to which crossmember I should have. Now having said that. The crossmember on the right, is called out as a 69-71 style crossmember by other sources. Now I recently upgraded my 4 speed to a type B unit. I wonder if I can use that older crossmember on a newer Type B transmission.

• 4 weeks later...

I have one of the cross members you show in post #1. Its yours for $10 + shipping. Drop me a line to z240@shaw.ca. Glad to get rid of it.

The auto/manual labelling on that shot is incorrect. The series 1 z's have a different trans body mount system, where you put the cross member in with two 8mm vertical bolts (which requires the style in-correctly labelled as Auto and the style in post #1), all other s30's use the type with pair of 12mm horizontal bolts, using the crossmember style labelled as manual.

I've always wondered about the mount in post #1, ie which came first, it or the one mis-labelled as auto, and if so, what is the VIN break point for their use? Is it an A vs B type trans mount selection for early cars, ie some kind of cross over point where the trans went to the B type, by the trans x-member mounts on the car were still the vertical bolt type? I'm sure someone will chime in with details.

I'm not certain - but I don't think so. A friend was converting a A/T to 5spd - and he needed the early manual crossmenber. I didn't ask if his car came with the A/T installed - or if he started with a shell. I found an early crossmember in my spares and gave it to him.. I'll check with him...

Carl B.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

That's correct Brian......I just used the crossmember taken from my early 72 automatic transmission (the one on the right) and it also works with the B type 4 speed that I'm replacing it with. The transmission mount insulator is also the same on either transmission....auto or manual..... "A" or "B" tranny.

Edited by Diseazd