Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Arne

[2012] What did you do to/with your S30 today?

289 posts in this topic

Rather than let these threads go on forever as they do in some other forums, I thought I'd start new ones for separate generations for the New Year. Use these threads for short, Twitter-like posts, things that may not be worth their own thread.

This one is for the S30s. Enjoy, and let's keep each other involved!

Started to organize and catalog the extra Z parts I have.

Keith

She turns 40 in 2012...actually in Dec. 2011. I drove the 240Z all day today. Happy 2012! Blessed with Z weather on Jan 1st in NY...priceless.

Started to organize and catalog the extra Z parts I have.
Funny, as I've spent the past few weeks slowly selling off all my extra Z parts.

Heading today to get the rear bumper re-chromed. Took the headlight assembly out yesterday and cleaned up the screws that adjust the headlights.

Began the process of replacing battery cables & battery. I am switching battery to an Optima 35 (with the + and - post positions swapped from original). Bought 24K gold-plated terminal clamps, new 4 ga wiring. Soldered lugs on the cables where needed. Battery goes in today.

I cleaned up the garage, moved things around, and now my 240z has company in the garage. My wife claims that we've never had two cars in the garage at the same time. She may be right. Unfortunately, my daily driver has to live outside.

post-23233-141508173499_thumb.jpg

I cleaned up the garage, moved things around, and now my 240z has company in the garage. My wife claims that we've never had two cars in the garage at the same time. She may be right. Unfortunately, my daily driver has to live outside.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]50250[/ATTACH]

Looks like you have room for a lift in there, so you could have your DD inside under the Z, provided it is not a big truck :)

Began the process of replacing battery cables & battery. I am switching battery to an Optima 35 (with the + and - post positions swapped from original). Bought 24K gold-plated terminal clamps, new 4 ga wiring. Soldered lugs on the cables where needed. Battery goes in today.
After installing the battery, I discovered the hold-down bracket was too large. Grrr. Now I've got to cut it down and re-weld it for it to fit properly. Plus I have to elevate the battery so the firewall bracket screw will mate up with the hole.

ID: 10   Posted (edited)

Today was sunny and 30 degrees ,,,so it was a nice crispy day to do a couple of mods on ORANGINA, installed a 14'' MoMo four spoke leather vintage steering wheel and remove the rear bumper chrome guards .

Edited by 72 OJ

Doug, I've thought about the lift. The problem is the garage door tracks. I'd rather have a barn anyway. The daily driver is another Altima ('05 SE-R) so it would have fit. The truck lives outside. It knows its place.

I created a new key for my car after the original was lost with no spare. Not anything fun nor something I'm glad to spend money on but at least she's back on the road....again.

ID: 13   Posted (edited)

Removed back hatch to redo defroster grid. Scraped defroster grid lines with razor blade and discovered that those grids are really on there. While I can't get them off that way I noticed they are now very smooth and shiny so I plan to put the new grid lines on top of the old ones. With my finger I can barely detect that the original lines are still there they are so thin even though they are easy to see. The old ones have high resistance everywhere I measure so they should not cause shorting with the new lines.

Edited by Mikes Z car

Repainted some 260Z emblems I bought on eBay. Not great, but better than when I started.

post-5413-14150817418659_thumb.jpg

post-5413-141508174193_thumb.jpg

post-5413-14150817419813_thumb.jpg

Almost ready to put engine in. Need to find a gasket for transmission. The PO took the rear extension off for some reason and gasket is torn. All the gears seem to work fine and engage...at least for now with no power going through it. Hope to get gasket this week, bolt transmission up, and put everything in. We'll see.

Brian

post-20911-14150817420068_thumb.jpg

I dropped mine off at a local shop where the guy (a Z car mechanic from 80s California) asked to do my front suspension, while I try to repair the splash liners.

I replaced the thermostat...the old one was sticking...I also rewired the electric fans so they shut off with the ignition. I got the driver side dome light switch working. I also adjusted the SUs a little…All in all a productive day.

post-13985-14150817420792_thumb.jpg

Got the hold-down bracket cut down and re-welded, painted and installed. Looks pretty spiffy now.

Next project is a new set of headers. Looking for 3-2, if you have a source, lemme know.

Picked up my rear bumper from the chromers today - it looks better than new! I'm pretty stoked about it!

ID: 20   Posted (edited)

Got the hold-down bracket cut down and re-welded, painted and installed. Looks pretty spiffy now.

Next project is a new set of headers. Looking for 3-2, if you have a source, lemme know.

Frank,

When I saw you were looking for a 3 into 2 style header..I did a little searching..

found a couple sites...

these are what I had on my 3.1 stroker motor

http://www.nismoparts.com/catalog/?section=297

Here is another one I saw through a nissan dealership

http://www.nissanraceshop.com/product/332656/performance-lseries-header-system-6cyl-99996e1142

now keep in mind these are larger diameter headers..."race" applications...so to speak..more for a built motor that needs

to be "opened up" so to breathe better..

Do you have a stock motor in your Z? if you do, you might want to read through this forum topic :

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?24866-240Z-Header-Recommendation

Edited by jackboxxx

Thanks, Jackboxxx. Like others, I'd like to get a set of Stahl headers, but understand they're no longer in business or have ceased producing for the L series. I found these on eBay, sold by a guy I've done business with before, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Datsun-Nissan-Z-280Z-240Z-N42-P90-E88-Ceramic-Coated-Square-Port-Header-NEW-/160709987854?hash=item256b0fce0e&item=160709987854&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr. I've written him inquiring of tube diameter and flange thickness. These headers have the square ports to fit my E31 head and from the photos appear to be pretty decent quality.

I'll further explore your other provided links via phone on Monday.

Many thanks!

Frank,

When I saw you were looking for a 3 into 2 style header..I did a little searching..

found a couple sites...

these are what I had on my 3.1 stroker motor

http://www.nismoparts.com/catalog/?section=297

Here is another one I saw through a nissan dealership

http://www.nissanraceshop.com/product/332656/performance-lseries-header-system-6cyl-99996e1142

now keep in mind these are larger diameter headers..."race" applications...so to speak..more for a built motor that needs

to be "opened up" so to breathe better..

Do you have a stock motor in your Z? if you do, you might want to read through this forum topic :

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?24866-240Z-Header-Recommendation

The last two headers mentioned in this thread are just MSA headers. You can get them way cheaper from MSA themselves.

Link

Nissan Motorsports still advertises their header, but as far as I know, you can't get those anymore.

(Actually done on Friday) Got the outside mirrors redone (new mirror glass) and the door/hatch locks to the locksmith for cleanup and repair of the dust flaps. Plus an appointment with the upholsterer to get the seats and door panels done.

Today I took advantage of the unseasonably nice weather here in Ohio and took the 240z out for a drive. :classic:

Today , I installed a brand new Optima battery for our 280Z, and scouring information on which header and exhaust system to buy for the ol' Z.