IGNORED

5-spd Rebuild Cost

gnosez

I've been having 5-spds rebuild since 2001 at the same shop and I bring them 4-6 a year along with a few diffs for bearing/seal replacement and stub axles to press out.

Until recently the price has been under $500. but last month it jumped to nearly double that due to an increase in parts costs and the fact the shop was losing money on the discounted labor rate they had quoted me.

The shop told me that the new rebuild kits come with some additional parts that wasn't included earlier (these they had been taking from spare/junk trannies) and they believe the rebuilds are better than before as a result.

So my question is, what are other folks paying to have ZX 5-spds (non-turbo) rebuilt these days?

I was getting quotes around $600 when I was looking to have mine redone. I bought a kit for $120 and did it myself. If you are having a lot of these done it might be a good plan to try it yourself and save that money many times over.

There were not may specialized tools required. Maybe a gear puller, brass drift and a large wrench for the rear locknut.