IGNORED

Spindle pin removal tool survey

Jeff G 78

I don't think I've ever seen ones that clean except mine which were drenched in VersaChem 13 thread lubricant when they were installed in the early 90's. Think yours have been replaced at some point.

That is what I thought. So I haven't been truly indoctrinated to the pin zed club. I don't see how someone did the pins and didn't change out the wheel cylinders. Maybe they did, maybe the life of a pin before it rusts in is longer than a wheel cylinder corroding.

That is what I thought. So I haven't been truly indoctrinated to the pin zed club. I don't see how someone did the pins and didn't change out the wheel cylinders. Maybe they did, maybe the life of a pin before it rusts in is longer than a wheel cylinder corroding.

If you don't run new brake fluid into your system every two years, your wheel cylinders get pitted out... Unless you live in very low humidity.

On the topic of the survey, I've killed one of the thrust bearings and broken the puller rod while it was loaned out. Pulled about 7 pairs of pins.

• 5 months later...

OK, OK, I've been dragging my feet and haven't ordered the materials since my Z is still stored for the winter. I'll get on it and buy enough to make several. Once I get the tool built and dialed-in, I'll sell them for as cheap as possible. My goal is to improve on the ones currently available.

I'm out of town this weekend, but I will check McMaster Carr again when I return home and order the supplies. I looked at a hardware store today, but they only had standard all-thread. I think I'll go with hardened 3/4" Acme all-thread. I'll need to ask a friend to drill the rod ends on his lathe so I can tap them. For the prototype, I'll use S30 front strut thrust bearings. If the tool works as planned, I'll find a similar bearing that I can buy since I only have a few old strut bearings laying around. It sounds like I have at least a few interested "customers". I am not going to charge any more than what it costs to make them. If the first batch customers like the tools, I might make another batch, but to start with, I will just make a few.

I know this is a year old thread but did anyone actually come up with a final product that "works"?

Mine has been loaned around Austin for the last few years and busted and repaired a few times. Some local engineers got ahold of it and redesigned it to be "bomb proof" but I haven't seen it yet.

This is what I had made at a local machine shop. Cost around $25 plus the pipe. The end that attaches to the spindle pin is the same thread as the wheel lug studs. Worked great, I used a large boxed end wrench and hit it with a hammer to help turn the nut at the washer end. One of my rubber bushings did split down the middle and I had to saw the sleeve out of the frame.

post-13827-14150818696964_thumb.jpg