IGNORED

Installed my A/C Hoses

Oiluj

I made and installed my A/C hoses on Friday.

To crimp the hose fittings, I used a Mastercool 71550 Manual hose crimper and it worked like a charm.

At $200, it’s expensive as a “one-time use tool”, but I was quoted about $100 to have a shop crimp the hoses. Given I’m going to have to make new hoses for my neighbor’s 240Z, I decided to buy the tool. Might sell it on Craig’s list when I’m done with it, or maybe I’ll just keep it…

post-15388-14150816030758_thumb.jpg

I still need to install the hose restraints and wiring in the engine bay this week, but that should only take a couple hours. Then it’s off to a local mechanic to get the system evacuated and charged.

It’s going to be nice to have air conditioning. I’ll post some pictures of the installation later this week.

post-15388-14150816030322_thumb.jpg

I looked at that one when I was looking for a crimper. I ended up getting the Atco 3700 because it looked to be a little easier to use. It cost me a little more but I've used it enough over the years to make it cost effective.

before he slipped the rubber hose over the pipe he sprayed some 3m super adhesive on the aluminum a/c pipe for extra hold, then crimped the fitting
I don't see the need for that. I've made a countless number of hoses over the years without adhesive and have never had one leak at the crimp.

Very cool. If the tool is for sale let me know. I have a new AC kit for my 240 and I do not like the hoses at all. I didn't think of making them, I was going to go to a custom hose shop. I learn from this site all the time. Thank you....

Very cool. If the tool is for sale let me know. I have a new AC kit for my 240 and I do not like the hoses at all. I didn't think of making them, I was going to go to a custom hose shop. I learn from this site all the time. Thank you....

Phil, If I do sell the tool, it won't be for a few months. My neighbor's 240Z is still in the paint shop and I have to finish her car first.

I'm glad you made this post. I will see if I can find a tool that will do the job. It is a good idea to make the hoses. I'm sure I will take more care then most hose shops to make them fit the way I want them to fit. I have used a lot of crimp tools over the years for electrical items but didn't think about making the hoses until I read your post.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got A/C! And it's even cold... Charged the system this morning and went for a drive.

Had an issue with one of the hoses I made. The hose itself had a pin-hole which sealed itself during the vacuum test, but failed under pressure. Was that a surprise when the refrigerent came squirting out!

Happily, I had two extra #6 fittings and some extra hose so I just made a new one.

Found I'm going to have to add an electric fan to help keep the engine cool if I get caught in-traffic. When sitting at idle with A/C at max cold, the engine temp begins to rise. Just one more project to add to the list...

No matter, I've got working A/C!!!

True, where I am on the peninsula temps are moderate. Around here, it's two windows down.

The east bay, however, is a different story. Where I grew up in Antioch, (only 70 miles away), Summer temps are typically in the high 90's to low 100's. Still have family and freinds I visit there on a regular basis.

Plus, I'm planning a trip in the Z to SOCAL shortly. San Diego was in the 90's today. Nice to have A/C when you need it!