IGNORED

240z A/c Question

CW240Z

I've got a 72 Z that came with just about every dealer option they offered back then, including an a/c system from Frigiking. I almost have the complete original system on the car, including all the under dash plumbing, switches, dryer, etc. However, I am missing the compressor, compressor mounting bracket, and the condenser is sitting in the back of the car. My question is what should I do to get the a/c working on the car? should I just get a compressor and condenser? Can a condenser be cleaned and reused? Or should I junk the system and get a new kit? I know that the a/c discussion for these cars have been talked about a ton, I just thought my situation was a bit different. Thanks in advance for any input!

There are probably dozens of members of this forum who have the old original A/C kit pieces sitting on shelves in the garage after converting to modern rotary systems. Sooooo, finding the missing pieces you need shouldn't be too difficult if you want to maintain the "vintage" look. I'm not an A/C expert, but I'm guessing the old condenser can be cleaned and reused if it doesn't leak.

On the other hand, a new system with a rotary compressor and modern refrigerant is smooth running and easier to service than the earlier R12 systems. It will keep your Z cool, especially if you have rear window louvers.

Good luck!

Dennis

There are probably dozens of members of this forum who have the old original A/C kit pieces sitting on shelves in the garage after converting to modern rotary systems. Sooooo, finding the missing pieces you need shouldn't be too difficult if you want to maintain the "vintage" look. I'm not an A/C expert, but I'm guessing the old condenser can be cleaned and reused if it doesn't leak.

On the other hand, a new system with a rotary compressor and modern refrigerant is smooth running and easier to service than the earlier R12 systems. It will keep your Z cool, especially if you have rear window louvers.

Good luck!

Dennis

Thanks Dennis, with the summers around here reaching 100+ degrees a newer system sounds a lot better to have. I'm all for a cooler Z, would a new rotary system work with the original ducting and plumbing I have under the dash? What all would i need to get it running again with the modern system?

post-24603-14150816013917_thumb.jpg

if you were to take that into a shop they wouldn't guarantee work unless you replaced the whole system. if you were to do the work yourself you could reuse the evaporator under the dash. since the system was open to the outside atmosphere for a long time i would flush the evaporator really well with a/c flush solvent and replace the expansion valve.

get a new condenser, they're cheap and more efficient parallel flow v.s. your old serpentine

condenser. if you have no air pump you could install a later factory a/c compressor on the drivers side using stock mounts from a 280 or 280zx. then take it to a shop and have them

make custom hoses.

Edited by hr369

if you were to take that into a shop they wouldn't guarantee work unless you replaced the whole system. if you were to do the work yourself you could reuse the evaporator under the dash. since the system was open to the outside atmosphere for a long time i would flush the evaporator really well with a/c flush solvent and replace the expansion valve.

get a new condenser, they're cheap and more efficient parallel flow v.s. your old serpentine

condenser. if you have no air pump you could install a later factory a/c compressor on the drivers side using stock mounts from a 280 or 280zx. then take it to a shop and have them

make custom hoses.

That sounds like a good plan, the compressor was removed and lines sealed when I got the car, since the car has been in a stora ge building for 20+ years and less than 60K miles on it the evaporator should still be good. I'm planning on doing the system myself, flushing the system and replace the expansion valve like you mentioned. I like the idea of using a newer a/c compressor and condenser since theyre easier to find.

i don't own a 240 and am not sure what your crankshaft damper pulley

looks like. did they install a double pulley for the frigidaire system?

you should check to see if the damper pulley will line up with the a/c compressor pulley using the 280z compressor mount.

you could put on a L28 damper if needed but thats more work and more

expense. here is my setup. im using a zx mount and later model hitachi compressor with aftermarket condenser.

post-24552-14150816015265_thumb.jpg

post-24552-14150816015494_thumb.jpg

this place sells a partial kit and it says it fits the 240

http://www.nostalgicairparts.com/air-conditioning/datsun-240z-260z-280z-compressor-upgrade-kit-623.php

i don't own a 240 and am not sure what your crankshaft damper pulley

looks like. did they install a double pulley for the frigidaire system?

you should check to see if the damper pulley will line up with the a/c compressor pulley using the 280z compressor mount.

you could put on a L28 damper if needed but thats more work and more

expense. here is my setup. im using a zx mount and later model hitachi compressor with aftermarket condenser.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47661[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47662[/ATTACH]

this place sells a partial kit and it says it fits the 240

http://www.nostalgicairparts.com/air-conditioning/datsun-240z-260z-280z-compressor-upgrade-kit-623.php

I believe the damper pulley on my car would work just find with the 280z mount with little modification. Thanks for the website, most of the places I know of only sell a complete a/c kit.

post-24603-14150816015735_thumb.jpg