IGNORED

Pertronix installation, a couple issues after done 240z

No I have not tried that yet, I don't see why it should need to be removed since it's already removed from the circuit but anything it worth a try. I believe the 72 tach is different inside than the 71? My build date is 6/71.

Do you have your pertronix wired the same way as mine besides the resistor? I was thinking of also removing my pertronix red wire from the coil and moving it to where the two wires connect at the old BR.

After finding so many numerous threads and no fixes to this issue, Im going to try my best to find a solution and share it with everyone.

My car is a 7/71, so essentially the same as yours. My resistor is bypassed the same as yours, but I did connect the red from the Pertronix to the BR in an effort to get cleaner voltage to the unit. Works fine that way.

I'm not sure what the issue with your tach might be, as mine works fine w/o adapters or any odd hacks.

My car is a 7/71, so essentially the same as yours. My resistor is bypassed the same as yours, but I did connect the red from the Pertronix to the BR in an effort to get cleaner voltage to the unit. Works fine that way.

I'm not sure what the issue with your tach might be, as mine works fine w/o adapters or any odd hacks.

perhaps thats the reason im getting an angry tach since its actually connected to ther positive side of my coil. And with having the pertronix there as well, it makes since to remove it.

So you have your BR like mine? Still bolted to the car but the wires at one end to take the BR out of the circuit. And the red wire connected at the end with the rest of the wires?

I really hate electrical gremlins, I only know the basics of electricity.

Edited by 71Nissan240Z

So you have your BR like mine? Still bolted to the car but the wires at one end to take the BR out of the circuit.
Yup. Since I don't trust the Pertronix totally, I want the pieces in place so I can revert easily. I carry a set of points in the car with me as a backup.

Yeah I dont trust it totally either, do you know that little tube looking thing right above the coil with one wire coming out of it? What is that, and is it supposed to be connected to the negative side of my coil?

And for the sake of redundancy, I have a picture of these two wires from my distributor with no use whatsoever. Just want to make sure these have no use at all. It looks like one wire is for a condensor and the other may be a ground. Both these wires I was instructed to tape up and leave alone.

th_5c430dae.jpg

Edited by 71Nissan240Z

I know this is a totally seperate question, but id rather ask on here than open another forum. How much is the vacuum advance supposed to move when u suck on the tube? Mine barely moves at all, maybe like 1/16", is that how its supposed to be? or should i take the plate off and put some lithium grease to help it move.

perhaps thats the reason im getting an angry tach since its actually connected to ther positive side of my coil. And with having the pertronix there as well, it makes since to remove it.

So you have your BR like mine? Still bolted to the car but the wires at one end to take the BR out of the circuit. And the red wire connected at the end with the rest of the wires?

I really hate electrical gremlins, I only know the basics of electricity.

If I were you I would not do another thing until you READ the Pertronix install instructions!! The tach goes to the NEG side of the coil.

Sorry for the double post!

Edited by Travel'n Man

I did READ the instructions, and the conversion says nothing about the tach needing to be on the negative terminal. Furthermore, the tach is wired stock to the positive terminal of the coil. On the stock wiring diagram the black and white wire coming from the tach goes to the positive terminal.:cool:

Edited by 71Nissan240Z

I just tried this today, same thing. After 4k the tacho doesnt work. Car runs fine. I dont see how the same car year color would have different issues. Do u think its from my distributor? There isnt much play in the distributor, otherwise it would be running like crap and it certainly does not.

After looking at your wiring photo in post # 10 you simply do not have the pertronix hooked up correctly. I would bet that's why the tach is not working. Best advice, start from scratch and try again.

After looking at your wiring photo in post # 10 you simply do not have the pertronix hooked up correctly. I would bet that's why the tach is not working. Best advice, start from scratch and try again.

I already tried bundling the 12v ignition, green tacho wire and red pertronix together with the exact same results. Somehow the tacho works fine until 4k. Could it be an issue with the distributor? The car seems to run fine past that point tho.

Edited by 71Nissan240Z