IGNORED

Customizing my MSA flanged exhaust

Arne

OK, next part. Let's say that I need to weld a tip directly to the outlet of a muffler. Let's assume the muffler outlet is 2" ID (so a 2" OD pipe would slip inside for clamping) and extends from the muffler case by 3". But since the muffler space on a 240Z is - as we know - already at the very rear of the car, slipping a 2" pipe in and then using the tip I want for the 2" pipe is too long. The tip could not be tucked in where I need it, at best it would be the 3" from the muffler case.

| | ——————/
|_______________|

So what I'm thinking is to use a tip with a 2 1/4" ID that will slide OVER the outlet, and could butt up flush to the muffler case.

| |——————/
|_______________|

But ideally, I think I'd want some sort of a bushing that would make that a snug fit prior to welding. And this is my question - has anyone seen a bushing of this type? The ID would need to be whatever the OD of a 2" ID pipe is, 2 1/8" or so? and the OD of the bushing would need to be 2 1/4" so that a 2 1/4" tip would slide on.

Any leads? I've tried googling but the results have been marginal. I may not be using good search terms.

Edited by Arne

OK, next part. Let's say that I need to weld a tip directly to the outlet of a muffler. Let's assume the muffler outlet is 2" ID (so a 2" OD pipe would slip inside for clamping) and extends from the muffler case by 3". But since the muffler space on a 240Z is - as we know - already at the very rear of the car, slipping a 2" pipe in and then using the tip I want for the 2" pipe is too long. The tip could not be tucked in where I need it, at best it would be the 3" from the muffler case.

So what I'm thinking is to use a tip with a 2 1/4" ID that will slide OVER the outlet, and could butt up flush to the muffler case.

But ideally, I think I'd want some sort of a bushing that would make that a snug fit prior to welding. And this is my question - has anyone seen a bushing of this type? The ID would need to be whatever the OD of a 2" ID pipe is, 2 1/8" or so? and the OD of the bushing would need to be 2 1/4" so that a 2 1/4" tip would slide on.

Any leads? I've tried googling but the results have been marginal. I may not be using good search terms.

I did just that with my exhaust when I made my tip. I centered it visually and tacked it straight to the muffler. Honestly once it's welded you won't need to worry about a snug fit. Once there's a weld bead around the pipe, it won't be moving anywhere.

Or another option, cut the outlet off the muffler and weld the new tip on. You could leave a 1/4 inch to help center the resonated tip. With the original outlet cut short enough, you'll never see it even if it's not totally perfect.

If you really worried about a shim, you can get some appropriate diameter steel round stock. Cut 2 to 4 short lengths (or bend 1 longer length around the outlet) and use them to shim/center the new tip.

:beer:

oh, I'm going to guess the resonated tip is chrome, mask that thing with masking tape and wrap it in leather or some kind of weld splatter blocker. Weld splatter will stick to the chrome and ruin the finish

Edited by 70 Cam Guy

Well, I think I'm getting close now. I'm pretty certain that what I'm envisioning will work, so it's about time to put my money where my mouth is. I think I'll buy and fab the rear muffler/tips first, then once that's done, I'll get the MSA system and the final few bits. Got to find someone to do the welding for me as I don't have that equipment myself.

Stay tuned, film at 11:00....

• 4 weeks later...

In the immortal words of Marvin the Martian, "Delays, delays..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppGtDOG7ujk

While the parts for the rear muffler swap are scheduled to arrive tomorrow, I got an email from MSA saying the system itself is backordered, 2-3 weeks out. I can do some testing w/o the entire system, but don't want to weld anything up until I can test fit it.

Dang!

Edited by Arne