Oh yes, also changed oil with castrol 10W40, and put in the datsun/nissan big blue oil filter, and it has new NGK wires, NGK B6ES-11 plugs (gapped to .40)
Of course, the car runs better now, better than ever before (too long to explain) but its still only getting 10IN of vacuum. :-( at idle.
Both myself and some local mechanics, used carb cleaner around injectors and intake manifold, and nothing changed. We were thinking maybeI foo-barred some of the orings in injectors, but the engine did not budge one bit with any carb cleaner around intake manifold, or injectors. So it just seems to confirm even more, I dont have any foo-barred orings or intake leaks. I have new quick disconnect electrical connections for the new injectors, just havent had time to install them yet.
I found a local garage with a smoke machine, and no intake leaks were seen anywhere (and they had an oscilliscope/computer system they clamped onto the main ignition/coil wire). They also said secondary ignition system was looking good on the oscilliscope, firing pattern and burn time looking good/normal. I myself found many little cracked vacuum/pcv hoses and replaced all of them over past month while doing all this other work.
I cleaned all electrical connections and sensor connections in the engine area, cleaned grounding points in engine compatment where all the ground wires connect to, cleaned fuse box, replaced all fuses. Oh yeah replaced PCV valve, replaced thermotime sensor, replaced water temp sensor, AFM (air temp sensor was bad), replaced thermostat (it was running too cold and now its hot like it should be). I installed a new clear see thru G3 fuel filter after gas tank, after installing new tank back on car. I have a fuel pressure guage currently connected after fuel filter in engine compartment. So I can check it when needed.
My fuel pressure looks good when starting up, idling, and revving engine. Seems normal to me. Right around 36 psi.
I probably left some stuff out. But after all this work, the engine is running better then it ever had before, however, I really feel its holding back. I still smell some exhaust even with downward tip extenders (I think those reallllllllly helped a whole lot and only cost 10$)...And lets see, Im getting 7 to 8 mpg in town driving , yes really that bad, and my AFR's from the innovate meter are showing my idling at very lean conditions like 18 AFR or a little higher when sitting at stop sign, and WOT is 10.1 to 10.3, and crusing is around 12.5 average, sometimes almost 13 if I am going in a straight line and barely touching the gas pedal. I drove for 44 minutes and recorded all the data on the AFR meter and played it back on my PC. Several times now.
The local mechanics checked timing(and changed it as much as they say they could-because of the 10IN of vacuum the engine was only producing), they also played around with the idle adj screw and AFM bypass screw a little bit.
The also said distributor cap looked good and clean inside, and the distributor itself (what you can see by popping the top off anyway, basically looked OK - but they suggested a removal/inspection/and possible replacement of its 'guts', if needed)
After all this information I gave them, and the tests they did, they say I need valve adjustment. I have heard that before earlier in this project, but I have wanted to restore car to as much new stuff as I could....and also do as much of it myself. So I have learned a lot over the winter time, and thanks to many people on here to encourge me to do all this stuff.
However now to the meat of the meal, adjusting valves scares me somewhat that I could royally foo-bad something. I will be careful of course but still....So I was wondering if someone can offer some tips faq watchout problems etc. I saw bits and pieces of information about valve adjustment, but it seemed like they were for older z cars. Dont know how much it applies to my 1978. I have read about doing it hot and cold, and I would plan on doing it cold the first time. And I suppose first of all, I just need to remove rocker cover, and just inspect them in the first place and see whats what. And what their clearances are now.
!Oh yeah!, I learned how to do compression tests (was about 150 psi on average across all cylinders), but I did it with cold engine and didnt open the throttle (didnt know about it then, and still honestly dont know how to do that exactly), so I read on this site, that doing the tests warm, and opening throttle could add anywhere from 5 to 20 psi. So my compression could even be higher 155 160 170?
I also learned how to do leak down tests, on average it was 15 to 19% (mostly towards the 19% side) and one cylinder I could only get down to 23%, which all that seems OK to me from what I have been reading. According to the guage up to 40% is in the green, of course I dont really beleive you want to be around 40%, around 20% seems a lot better to me. And I was told that 15% is about normal for any average new(er) car. Ohhh I am sure I left some things out. And I realize just beacuse I replaced all this stuff doesnt mean its all working. But I am gonig to choose to believe it is all working for now. It really seems that if I have some valves that are tired and not set correctly, that my gas mileage will suffer, could smell wierd exhaust problems because of incomplete combustion, and not have the power I believe the car is missing right now. So I am reallly hoping a valve job can bring it back to even have more power and fun!
Edited by argniest, 15 April 2011 - 01:58 PM.