IGNORED

How often do you drive your vintage Z?

bavarian06

I'm torn if I should keep racking up the miles on my Z. I have a late '70 with just 108K miles, everything original (clutch and engine). A clean non-rusted car with zero accident history.

I recently installed BRIDE bucket seats and boy does the car come alive. I had a hard time cornering cause I would slide around in the seat. Now with the proper seating position, spirited driving is so much more rewarding.

Regardless, wanted forum members view on this subject. Do you drive it or is it a garage queen? What's everyone est annual avg miles? I plan to drive it to the MSA meet in April, I better lay off the miles until then.

Edited by bavarian06

I run the motors on my '70 and '73 at least every other week, occasionally taking them out for a 2-10 mile spin. I also drive them to car shows in the San Diego and LA area. That's about it. Easily staying within my Hagerty's 2500 mile limit.

I am planning on taking both to the MSA show and the 2012 ZCON in Pheonix.

Guess that's one advantage of a beater Z with zero history (or rather an unknown history). Once I have the bugs worked out she will be a daily driver. Clearly she has and has had rust issues. Unknown mileage. Unkown accident history and is valued about what I have in her. I have every intention of being rough on her but I will pamper her as needed. Kinda like my wife :)

My previous old car daily driver was my 70 Mustang fastback. I had no problem driving her even though she was a rust free survivor with 140k miles. She isn't rare or sought after. Just a good driveable mustang. Had she been a Boss 302 or something I'm sure she woulda spent more time in garage.

If you love driving Z's but want to preserve your baby. Buy a beater Z for a couple grand and beat that one :)

• Like 1

I drive my late '71 about 3000 miles per year. It's a rare week when it doesn't get out of the garage at least once, if not two or three times. It had 60k when I bought it, just over 72k now. And no, I don't worry a bit about adding more miles to it. It's my car, and I bought it to drive it.

+1 to Arne

I agree. A car is meant to be driven. IMHO, Datsun/Nissan Z's aren't exactly Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance material, and I doubt they will ever be.

I use to be very strict on putting miles on my restored Z, and even more paranoid that it would get chipped, dinged, or damaged. That is why I sold the show car to someone to someone who would properly uphold it. I kept the "tired," but much alive, Z car and I never regret going back. It is simply too much fun to drive :)

How will we keep the spirit of these cars alive, if we do not drive them and show the world they are still around? Will it matter to me the condition of the car 100 years later when I am long gone? NOPE.

Edited by spitz17

Once or twice a week for a 10-15 mile drive. Once a month for something a bit more involved. But even with that amount of driving it only amounts to about 1,000 miles per year because I only have 8 months of driving weather. The odometer in my car reads 1,001 right now. I couldn't tell you if it's 101,001, 201,001 or 401,001.

Guess that's one advantage of a beater Z with zero history (or rather an unknown history). Once I have the bugs worked out she will be a daily driver. Clearly she has and has had rust issues. Unknown mileage. Unkown accident history and is valued about what I have in her. I have every intention of being rough on her but I will pamper her as needed. Kinda like my wife :)

My previous old car daily driver was my 70 Mustang fastback. I had no problem driving her even though she was a rust free survivor with 140k miles. She isn't rare or sought after. Just a good driveable mustang. Had she been a Boss 302 or something I'm sure she woulda spent more time in garage.

If you love driving Z's but want to preserve your baby. Buy a beater Z for a couple grand and beat that one :)

that's what i shouldve done, bought a beater and modify and drive it to my hearts content. speaking of the Boss, the new ones are out. Drool.... tempted to trade in my M3 for one. get some proper torques

I only drive my 240Z about 500 miles a year. I got the 280ZX-T for more of a play toy and part-time daily driver. The 240Z basically gets driven out in the country on weekends in the Spring/ Summer. I seldom drive it in town because of all the idiot, unattentive drivers.:stupid: