IGNORED

Latest wheel selections and personal reviews, which one is your favourite?

johnnyt

There have been several new wheel choices available for our Z cars over the past year, here are a few that I have taken notice of. If you know of any others please post them with your reviews, let's try to make this both fun and educational at the same time!

NOTE:

These reviews are based on my own opinions.

I have set aside all wheel bias and/or brand loyalty.

Some of you may say that I have not picked any wheels above a 15" diameter. IMHO an s30 looks best with a 14 and/or 15" diameter wheel.

Rota Shakotan (available in 15x7, 15x8 and 15x9! offsets will range between 0, +10 and +15)

shakotan_1590_4x114_0_frblk4_300.jpg

Positive:

* For the money this is the wheel to beat, awesome sizes available and classic timeless design.

* This wheel is based on the "Hyashi Street" which was based on the Pantera Mangusta's wheels which is considered one of the most beautiful car designs of all time.

* Easy to replace and at a low cost.

Negative:

* Like the Rota RB there is the chance that too many people will be running these at the same time and this could deflate the uniqueness of your ride.

* Very limited color selection.

* Facing of the 15x7 and 15x9 look very different, so running these sizes at the same time would give an "odd" look.

* For some, quality may be suspect.

Rating: 4.50/5

Approximate Cost: Between $500 - $650 US for a set

Work Meister CR01 (available in 15x6 to 15x12, various offsets)

305.jpg

Positive:

* Beautiful 2-piece wheel based on a classic design.

* Due to cost, you could have a unique ride in your area.

* Color selection is awesome.

* Quality wheel manufacturer based on history and reviews.

Negative:

* I can see a set of these babies costing you one of your children, move up a few more sizes and possibly two of your children!!

* All the pictures I have seen online show it having a uni-lug design and if that is the case then drop a half point from my rating below. I simply can't stand seeing all those holes in the center of the wheel!

Rating: 4.75/5 (would have gotten a 5 but cost scares me)

Approximate Cost: Between $1250 - $3000 US for a set

Rota Grid V or Classic (I believe these are only available in 15x8 zero offset for our cars but I could be wrong)

grid_v_1580_4x100_+0_rgm3_300.jpg

Positive:

* To me, this wheel is a cross between classic and modern design. It has no extreme, most people will not love it or hate it. It manages to satisfy most peoples tastes.

* Low cost and easy replacement.

Negative:

* Would have been nice to see a greater selection of widths and offsets.

* Low cost could result in too many people using these on their cars.

* For some reason color selection is limited in USA/Canada.

* For some people, Rota quality is suspect.

Rating: 3.5/5

Approximate Cost: $600 - $650 US for a set

Retro 4 (available in 14x5.5 ET +22, 15x6 ET's +3 or +24 and 15x7 ET +12 and ET +0)

wpe8d0f16b_05.jpg

Positive:

* Nice retro design. However, these wheels have an extreme design. There are those who will say that it is a beautiful classic design and then there are those that will say that some designs are better left in the past.

* Fairly affordable for the average Joe.

* This is about as "wheel period correct" as you are going to get for a new wheel.

* From what I have read online, VTO seems to make a solid product.

Negative:

* Would be nice to see this wheel available in a 15x8.

* Design has a too much of a 'four leaf clover' look for my tastes.

* Could use more color selections but two available are nice.

Rating: 3.50/5

Approximate Cost: Between $700 - $1000 US for a set.

Enkei 92 (available in 15x7 +38 and 15x8 +25)

enkei-enkei92-classic-wheel-large-main.jpg

Positive:

* Timeless mesh design (period correct).

* Choice of 3 colors.

* Availability of a 15x8.

* Good quality wheel manufacturer.

Negative:

* Offsets are a little high for an S30, 15x7 only available in a +38 and the 15x8 is only available in a +25 so spacers will most likely be needed for stock springs.

* Could be pricey.

Rating: 3/5 (hi positive offsets kill it for me)

Cost: unknown

VTO Classic 8 (available in 14x5.5 ET's +22, 15x6, 15x7, 15x8 in various offsets. Coming soon will be a 16x7 and 16x8)

wp6f490668_05.jpg

Positive:

* Fantastic size selection to meet anyone's needs.

* Classic timeless 8 spoke design based on the famous Panasports racing wheels.

* Affordable, more so than the Panasports and I have read they are lighter which is a bonus.

* VTO Performance has had good reviews online from current owners.

* Available in 16" which allows greater tire selection.

Negative:

* Only available in black and silver (for those who care).

* The 8 spoke design has been copied to death across various vehicles.

Rating: 3.75/5

Cost: Estimated between $500 - $1000 US for a set.

US Indy Mag (available in 15x5.0 ET -12, 15x7.0 ET -5 and 15x8.0 ET 1)

indy.jpg

Positive:

* Period correct wheels, this style wheel was actually a dealer option for those who could afford them. If I remember correctly, widths were limited to 6".

* They are very affordable for the average Z owner.

* Above average quality.

* Good size selection for the s30.

Negative:

* Only seem available in polished finish (for those who care).

* I just can't get over thinking about these wheels when I look down at the drain in my kitchen sink, maybe this style was inspired by an ex plumber :classic:.

* Design has been copied on multiple vehicles.

* I have only seen these sold at one location.

Rating: 3.75/5

Cost: Approximately $650 US for a set. Available here:http://www.rimsntires.com/wheel.jsp?itemid=197576&brand=US%20Mag&model=Indy&carMake=Datsun&carModel=240Z&carYear=1969

Edited by johnnyt
updating

Since I paid for 'em, I'm sorta partial to Konig Rewinds. They look damned good on my Z, too.

Yes, I agree. The rewinds are a nice looking wheel on the Z, they have been out longer than a year that is why i did not include them in my initial post. I would like to have seen them available in a 15x8 zero offset.

Maybe I should keep my initial post going and include wheels from the past as well....um.

Hey guys - how about posted some suggested prices for those of us who are thinking about wheels??

I was going to add pricing, what I opted for instead was to make statements such as 'affordable' or 'low cost'. Cost varies from various dealers and sometimes they will not give you a price on their site (you need to email them for a quote). Maybe I will go back to my original post and add a price range. :cool:

The Rota Grid V or Classic is a take off of the Volk TE37V. The Volk does not have a polished lip but rather carries the color all the way to the edge.

http://www2.group5motorsport.com/blog/?p=286

I like the look of the Shakotan's and contemplated swapping out my Grid Offroads, but I love the look of the Offroads on my car.

The TE37V's do come with a polished lip on the gunmetal color.

Does anyone have a picture of the newly released Enkei 92 reproductions?

I do. Dont know how to post them. I think they are on speedhunters. Its a White S30 with black on one side and gold on the other.

The TE37V's do come with a polished lip on the gunmetal color.

I do. Dont know how to post them. I think they are on speedhunters. Its a White S30 with black on one side and gold on the other.

Hi surfer.tech, I have posted and reviewed the Enkei 92's in my initial post. If everyone is enjoying my thread I can keep it going just say the word. Thanks