IGNORED

L24 C110 - very low Voltatge to Coil

Mastadd240K

Hey guys,

Ive been scratching my head for a little while now, and the Workshop Manual i have has been no help,

I have 4v dc going to coil and Resistor,

So far i have changed,

Points (new)

Rotor Button (new)

Coil (New GT40R)

Resistor (New)

Ignition Switch (New)

Replaced 10A Fuse

Checked Fuse Wire (With Multimeter)

checked connections on Back of the Dash Cluster

Im currently at a loss as to Wtf is going on with it, ive replaced everything i can with new items at a great cost. still getting silly voltages at the Dizzy/Coil/Resistor.

The car has been sitting under cover in my shed for about 5 years now just to give a bit of back ground,

I have a Build thread here with some pics, (sorry if links are not aloud.)

http://classicskylinesaustralia.com/theforum/index.php?topic=810.0

If anyone can give me some pointer i would appreciate it

That sounds like a bad connection in the wiring harness.

Check all of the connectors between the ignition switch and the ballast resistor, and double check your ground straps between the engine and the negative side of the battery. Somewhere you have a high resistance current path. (or possibly several.) Corroded or loose connectors can cause this, as well as bad splices.

Hi,

What year is it ?

from memory, wiring to the coil is different between the early to late model cars (73 / 75+),

when the key is 'on' I believe it should have about 8volts (the wire from the key to the coil is a resistor), cranking should be 12v

Nigel

Hi,

What year is it ?

from memory, wiring to the coil is different between the early to late model cars (73 / 75+),

when the key is 'on' I believe it should have about 8volts (the wire from the key to the coil is a resistor), cranking should be 12v

Nigel

i Belive it to be a Rather Late car, but to be honest i have no idea, has the round Vents and What i think is the C2 interior Pack

Thanks for all the Info guys ill have to get a few more days to check these other things out,

i Belive it to be a Rather Late car, but to be honest i have no idea, has the round Vents.......

Sounds like a late model,

http://noddle.customer.netspace.net.au/Datsun%20240K%201976%20Wiring%20Diagram%20Black%20and%20White.bmp

This should help you out.

or do what I have done before, install electronic ignition from a MR30, or similar,

what I do is find the 2 wires that go to the coil (cranking (12 volts) and running (8 volts)), I connect the 'cranking' wire to the 'running' at the ignition switch, so the 'cranking' wire has 12 volts when engine is running or cranking. (does this make sense ?)

Nigel

Edited by Noddle

yeah i do get what you mean, ill have to check that diagram to the one i already have,

Cant go With elec Ignition as im trying to stay as close to original as possible ,

Even if i have Put twin SU's on.

If you use the MR30 distributor, it looks the same, you have 2 wires going to it, instead on 1,

still looks original (and no more points)

Nigel