IGNORED

Vintage Datsun Jackets

Mike B

There have been other threads with posts about Datsun jackets, but I thought I would start one solely decided to the subject. I have several vintage jackets. Here's one that I got on ebay recently (for less than $18). It says it belonged to someone that was part of the Datsun pace car crew for the 1974 Ontario 500, which I believe is actually the California 500 race held at Ontario Motor Speedway. Other than the embroidery on the front and the patches on the sleeve, it appears to be the same jacket that was given away or sold by dealers in the US. It still has the red quilted liner that many of the jackets are missing.

-Mike

post-9102-14150813497288_thumb.jpg

post-9102-14150813497514_thumb.jpg

Here's one from a Canadian Datsun dealer - Brasso. They had dealerships in Calgary and Vancouver I believe. In fact, the S30 pre-production test crew stopped by the Calgary location during their northern cold weather test trip in 1969.

-Mike

post-9102-14150813497643_thumb.jpg

post-9102-14150813497898_thumb.jpg

post-9102-14150813498093_thumb.jpg

This is isn't really a Datsun jacket, but it's Datsun related. Its from the 1971 ARRC. There was a guy wearing one around the Mitty last year that had patches on it from every year he had been there and it didn't look like he had missed any.

-Mike

post-9102-14150813501094_thumb.jpg

post-9102-14150813501539_thumb.jpg

Nice Collection Mike:

My favorite is still the original BRE Team Jacket - - but I like the Australian Datsun Rally jacket a lot as well.

By the way - at the Datsun Dealerships, the Jackets and Liners were separate items. You could buy one or both. As I recall the jackets themselves were something like $8.95 and if you wanted the liner they were an extra $2.00. Because these were promotional items, I and many of the salesmen at the Dealerships purchased them ourselves and gave them to people that bought cars from us. The Service Managers also gave them to customers that had larger service bills.

I still have my Jacket from the Dealership - - - but it seems a lot smaller now...

FWIW,

Carl B.