IGNORED

inner shift boot size?

KAL7467

ok long story short when i removed my console I noticed the rubber shift boot was too small for the hole mabye 2 inch gap at one end(I have a 240z build date 9/70) the hole seems better suited for teh larger shift boot from a 72+ my question is since the later boot has holes in it is it made to be screwed down. not a problem but just want to buy once... another thing i was thinking was mabye I am missing a spacer that was suposed to be used on a series 1? or possibly the po did a auto to manual swap and that is why the hole is larger? I can snap a pic tomorrow if that would help. I just want to have the correct fitting part when I put her back together...any help would be great...thanks in advance

I know that when you enlarge the hole in the transmission tunnel on an early car to install the later "B" series transmissions you have to use the later inner shift boot because the hole is too large for the early boot.

Be careful about drilling holes around the opening however because the fuel and brake lines run right next to the opening on the passenger (right) side of the tunnel. I ended up just using heavy clear tape (long term storage tape) on the right side of the boot. I drilled holes at the front and rear of the opening where it was safe.

thanks Walter is their a trim piece that goes around the boot? also it is a later 4 speed the PO put in(i know why not a 5 speed I have no idea either???)

There's a metal trim ring that holds the larger boot in place on the tunnel with screws. When I put a 5 speed in my '71 Z, I enlarged the hole in the tunnel, got the later style boot, and used the boot as a template for making a new trim ring with screw holes matched to the holes in the boot.

Actually, the metal shop class at the local high school made the ring for me based on the paper template I gave them. All went together nicely.

Dennis

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Art, here is a photo showing both the early Z inner shift boot, on the right, and the later shift boot & retainer ring, on the left. I just got an early Z inner shift boot from Black Dragon. Part Number 62-420 for $19.95. It is a reproduction part, but seems to be good quality. The real test will come when I install it...I need to deal with a shifter issue first, though. My '71 has a type B 4-speed in it and the shifter hits the edge of the shifter hole & the console. Nothing a little welding won't fix!

post-6323-14150813511477_thumb.jpg

Hi Art, here is a photo showing both the early Z inner shift boot, on the right, and the later shift boot & retainer ring, on the left. I just got an early Z inner shift boot from Black Dragon. Part Number 62-420 for $19.95. It is a reproduction part, but seems to be good quality. The real test will come when I install it...I need to deal with a shifter issue first, though. My '71 has a type B 4-speed in it and the shifter hits the edge of the shifter hole & the console. Nothing a little welding won't fix!

Great find Kenny, thanks! phew, thought I had to cough up $35 for a piece of rubber.