IGNORED

Synchromesh worn out?

FastWoman

I replaced the synchros and bearings in the 4 spd I had in my first 240z but I am no mechanic and knew that then so I took everything apart very carefully and laid it on newspaper in the same order it came apart. I also took a lot of pictures every step of the way as I wasn't sure I trusted myself to remember how everything fit. It worked fine after that with no spun bearing noise like it had before.

Well, that's encouraging. I'll study it. Maybe I'm up to the task.

How hard is it, physically, to pull a transmission? Is it something a sturdy old lady can do? ROFL

I pulled the 4 sp out of mine and put a clutch in it in one day. You could do it by yourself using a floor jack to support the tranny, but you will have to balance it a bit on the jack as you pull it loose. An extra set of hands sure is handy for this job. Especially when putting it back in. I had an extra set of hands, but when it came time to putting it back in, the extra set of hands wasn't pushing the same direction my mind wanted them to go..LOL I ended up just getting under it and man handling it back in place.

After doing the complete suspension, I'd say the tranny is a breeze. You will have to drop the exhaust off the manifold, and take the drive shaft loose on the differential. Those are the hardest parts.

Well, it sounds worth considering. About how much does a 5 speed weigh, give or take? And about how much time should I budget myself for a transmission and clutch rebuild?

Tlorber, I appreciate the kind offer of your vice frame. I might take you up on it yet. ;)

I want to suggest you try GM synchromesh rather than Redline MTL.

I put Redline in a Miata and felt no benefit. I heard the same from others. Then I heard a plug for GM synchromesh so I tried it in my other Miata that was being a bit difficult to get into third on the track. Boy, talk about an improvement!

You can now get Synchromesh from your local car parts place. It is more expensive but definitelty worth it to me.

From my notes: Do not put a GL5 fluid in your trans (ie Castrol syntorq) the sulfer content may be too high and eat the brass synchros. (Anyone, feel free to correct this info)

Al

Thanks, Al, but isn't fiddling with the oils just a way of buying time? With a leaky front seal, 165k on the original clutch, and synchronizers that are that fussy, am I not at a point where I really need to pull the stuff out and rebuild it anyway? I'm not planning to do it tomorrow, mind you, but I think it might be a spring project, whether I do it myself or farm it out. (I'm leaning more towards attempting it myself.)

Thanks, Al, but isn't fiddling with the oils just a way of buying time? [...]

Yes. It *might* buy you time and it is relatively cheap and easy. I was mostly addressing the fluids discussion that was going on in the same thread.

But I agree, with a 165k clutch and a front seal leak, pulling the trans is inevitable. Also consider replacing the engine rear main seal while the trans is out.

I agree that rebuilding your trans is the best solution. Finding a nice used one might be a good alternative. The problem is that most times you won't know if the trans is good or not until you install it.

I am sure you can handle the job from everything I have heard you say, as long as you have access to good tools.

Al

I would estimate that the 5 speed weighs in at 60-70 lbs. As long as you can get the car up high enough, you can use some 4x4 blocks and work each end down/up bit by bit. That way you are only carrying 1/2 the weight at any time. To do this, you will need to jack up the front of the car, and place a support under the oil pan so that you can control the pitch of the motor as the tranny pulls the rear down. Just make sure you keep an eye on the fan blade so that it doesn't smash against the shroud.

This all makes more sense when you are going through it.

• 2 months later...

FastWoman- so any luck? I've got a similar issue- only 2nd gear grinds about 50% of the time, sometimes a little bump, sometimes a pretty gnarly few teeth. My clutch catch point is very high- only have to press in a few inches. Literally just got the car though, so haven't done anything yet. Sorry not trying to hijack your thread just hoping you've had some success short of a full rebuild :)