IGNORED

Tire size suggestion confusion

71Nissan240Z

Ive spent over an hr reading through various threads about wheel size and tire size on stock 240z.

I am buying 0offset wheels 16x8, not sure on the design yet but I know thats the size.

I want tires that will obviously not rub, but something that doesnt look goofy. The common size is 225/50/16 for this wheel. I think that is a bit wide for the front.

I was thinking a 215/50/16 for the front and 225/50/16 for the rear, for a little staggered look and feel.

What your guys suggestions on tire size with stock suspension on a 71 240z with a 16x8 0-offset wheel?

Actually, the 225/50/16's will work great all the way around. And if you do a 215/50 in the front, it will be a shorter tire. Figure it this way..... the "50" in the measurement is a %. so 50% of 225 (mm) is 112.5mm tall sidewall. 50% of 215 is 107.5mm sidewall which is 5mm difference. Not a lot but still shorter than the rear.

a good example of this is my new Rota 17x9.5's in the rear and 17x9's in the front. For rear tires, I went with a 275/40ZR17 and in the front, a 245/45ZR17. So this works out to be (275mm - 40% is 110mm sidewall in the rear. and 245mm - 45% is a 110.25mm sidewall in the front) so this is only 0.25mm taller in front. Which won't be seen or felt.

Also, if you have a stock suspension, 225/50/16's will not rub as there is plenty of clearance between the tire and the wheel well lip. If you lower the car using Eibach PR Lowering springs, just roll the inner rear fender a little and yuou should be fine. My 70 has 225/50ZR16's and the car has been lowered with Tokico struts and Eibach springs, I merely rolled the inner fender a bit and it never rubs.

Dave

Edited by Zs-ondabrain

+1 with Dave.

My 240Z runs that EXACT setup 225 (all around)but it's lowered with 1" Tokico springs and it does not rub. However, on my 280Z the exact same wheels/tires with 1" drop DO rub on heavy dips in the road. Go figure.

PS There is more clearance up front than in the rear when it comes to the fender arches. Also, 215 will work on an 8" rim but will look a bit stretched.

Edited by cygnusx1

"215 will work on an 8" rim but will look a bit stretched"

I knew there was something I was forgeting. Thanks Dave.

And the 280Z IS a heavier car so the same setup will likely rub in the dips of the road. Most spring MFG's think the S30's all weigh the same. They need to make a stiffer spring for the 280Z to compensate for it's weight.

Dave

I don't agree that a stock height Z is any different than a lowered Z for tire clearance. The tire goes through the same arc with either setup. The stock ride height might not rub in normal driving, but hit a big enough bump and you will rub exactly the same as with lowering springs. The only way to be sure you will have no rubbing is to remove the springs and run the suspension through FULL travel. If the tires hit, you have a problem.

Look at post #19 in this thread to see what I mean. http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35079&highlight=fender+lip

My '78 rubbed really badly with 225/50R16 tires on zero offset 7" rims until I trimmed the fender lips.

Not every Z owner tries to jump the railroad tracks........

Almost ANY tire will rub if you lose the springs. 280Z are HEAVIER cars, compared to a 71 240Z and he never mentioned even lowering his car. Good struts and a BUMP STOP will or at least should slow this from happening, even with a full load of groceries in the car.

By the way, my 70' has Tokico struts, Eibach springs, 225/50ZR16's on 16x8" Eagle Alloys and it NEVER RUBES. And all I did was roll the rear fenders up, just a little, not even a full roll. With a full tank of gas, and a full load of groceries, my tool bag behind the seat and 2 amps and 2 subwoofers AND 2 People in the car...............It still won't rub. Period. The dips in the road on the freeway would have to be huge in order for me to even hear any rubbing, if any at all.

Edited by Zs-ondabrain

Be careful, some people on dropped Zs with the stock valance in front rub with 205's.

I had to go to 195/60/15's on 15x7's for it not to rub on my car. I have tokiko springs and struts. Each car is a little different. But NO way I could run 225's or 215's at all.

I'm running the 205/50/16 General's on my 16x8 +4 Rota's. On coilovers I only rub the rear on bumps or hard cornering. I have not rolled my fenders or anything.

I personally think 215/50 would be a safe tire for most. The height is good for our speedo's and a 215 will mount fine on an 8" wheel. Not all tires are created equal so you still get variation among 215/50's and 225/50's. Check specs on tirerack or somewhere for tread width and cross section.

I've thought about this a lot and I think there must be a good amount of variation in our body panels or something. This shot I am tucking tire and I've never rubbed on the front. 205/50 is also ~24" tall so that may be giving me the little extra clearance needed. Based on the rear outer clearance, I know I could not clear a 225 without rolling. My finger does not fit between the tire and wheel arch (maybe 1/4"). A 215 might fit my car but it would be tight

DSC_08901.jpg

I'm running the 205/50/16 General's on my 16x8 +4 Rota's. On coilovers I only rub the rear on bumps or hard cornering. I have not rolled my fenders or anything.

I personally think 215/50 would be a safe tire for most. The height is good for our speedo's and a 215 will mount fine on an 8" wheel. Not all tires are created equal so you still get variation among 215/50's and 225/50's. Check specs on tirerack or somewhere for tread width and cross section.

I've thought about this a lot and I think there must be a good amount of variation in our body panels or something. This shot I am tucking tire and I've never rubbed on the front. 205/50 is also ~24" tall so that may be giving me the little extra clearance needed. Based on the rear outer clearance, I know I could not clear a 225 without rolling. My finger does not fit between the tire and wheel arch (maybe 1/4"). A 215 might fit my car but it would be tight

DSC_08901.jpg

Roger that, a 205/50 is a lot smaller than a 195/60. I may end up going to a 205/50 one day if I want more tire, but I am only running a 7" wide rim, so I am stuck with what I got for now. I like how it sits and rides.