IGNORED

early oil pan

240dkw

I have been spending the last week or so under the car scraping the rest of the undercoating off and have noticed a couple of things. First it looks like the car has a early reinforced oil pan, the engine is the original one and a number of L24-9873. I do not have any of the history of the car so I guess that the oil pan was replaced with this early one at some time. Because of how much later it is than the dates in this thread.

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showpost.php?p=278322&postcount=28

As well, because this car is a mid 1970 Canadian car and does not have the extra vent hose to the gas tanks here is a photo of the support tab that would have been for the extra hose, still unbent as if came of the line. This tab sits right behind the filler hose shield. The is another unbent one on the spare tire tube for the same hose as well.

post-15138-14150812014993_thumb.jpg

post-15138-14150812015716_thumb.jpg

post-15138-14150812016327_thumb.jpg

I have been spending the last week or so under the car scraping the rest of the undercoating off and have noticed a couple of things. First it looks like the car has a early reinforced oil pan, the engine is the original one and a number of L24-9873. I do not have any of the history of the car so I guess that the oil pan was replaced with this early one at some time. Because of how much later it is than the dates in this thread.

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showpost.php?p=278322&postcount=28

As well, because this car is a mid 1970 Canadian car and does not have the extra vent hose to the gas tanks here is a photo of the support tab that would have been for the extra hose, still unbent as if came of the line. This tab sits right behind the filler hose shield. The is another unbent one on the spare tire tube for the same hose as well.

The service bulletin (TS70-28) that Chris cited in the thread you linked to only mentions the crankshaft counter weight increase beginning with engine #L24-3607. For HLS30s, that would be VINs roughly less than #1500 (1/70 cars). I think Chris was assuming that the oil pans were changed at the same time, but that may not be the case.

When did the emissions laws in Canada change so that they required emissions equipment? Maybe the non-emissions cars were allowed to be sold in Canada for the entire 1970 model year (except for the province of Ontario, which apparently required emissions from the beginning)?

-Mike

I did a little research and as far as I can tell, the emissions law for Canada was passed in 1970. So it would be applied to the 1971 model year. Of course we end up back at question as to when the cars with a later build month started being called a 1971 car. as my car has a 7-70 build date, I am sure it is a 1970.

• 4 years later...

Older topic but, I was just doing some de-greasing and noticed that my car also has the early reinforced oil pan. Mine is also a Canadian 7'70 car, with original engine (L24-010178).  Interesting that both of our cars have this old pan, maybe the saved the old parts for us Canadians, :LOL:

post-7818-0-82610300-1426617912_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...

That looks like the engine was at some point repainted, as seen by the blue line on the pan... and the colour looks a little off as well according to the 01/70 parts i have here beside me in the original "torquoise-ish" blue finish.

Are you sure the engine/pan was never taken out of that car, CanTechZ

That looks like the engine was at some point repainted, as seen by the blue line on the pan... and the colour looks a little off as well according to the 01/70 parts i have here beside me in the original "torquoise-ish" blue finish.

I would bet that it has never been out or repainted. That looks like the typical over spray that is seen all over the none blue parts on a motor.

I purchased the car in 1978 and the engine has never been pulled since then, I am quite sure that the PO hadn't either.  I had an "in car" re-build done on the engine shortly after buying it and the oil pan was dropped but the same one was replaced.  There is also some blue paint overspray on the engine mounts, a little less than in the picture from 26th-Z. No painting was done at the time of the re-build. The car has 145,000 miles and is still running strong on the original main bearings.