IGNORED

CA Blue License Plate Restore

spitz17

Hello everyone,

I apologize if this is in the wrong thread, as the subject is not limited to S30s, but I figured I'd give it a shot.

I am in the process of restoring my 1970-71 CA Blue License Plate for my Z, and would love to hear if anyone had experience with it?

The biggest problem I am facing now is finding a matching color right out of a can. Has anyone had any luck with finding a color that matches the blue and yellow on these plates? I went to a paint shop to try and get a mixture once, and the employees proceeded to tell me that I would get a ticket for it :stupid: I am leaning towards spray paint just because it results in a smoother texture, opposed to if I were to use a brush.

Once again, I apologize if this is in the wrong thread. But I've searched over and over for the paint codes with no luck. I know I can buy replicas, but what I really want to do is just repaint the existing ones I have.

This is a plate for reference (not mine):

c230-blueplate.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated :beer:

It is true that most states have administrative rules that prohibit repainted plates. But done well, no one will know.

I've always thought that the blue of the California plates was very similar to the blue used on Oregon plates through '73.

attachment.php?attachmentid=35214&stc=1&d=1269366946

If so, this site may be able to help with the blue. The yellow on the CA plates appears to be a bit more "orangy" than the Oregon yellow, though.

post-8596-14150810430146_thumb.jpg

Thanks Arne,

You are right; the blue in the Oregon plate looks almost identical to the CA Blue Plate. I will try and get in contact with them, too bad their site says they specialize "ONLY IN OREGON PLATES."

On the side, is that your car? (thrown off by the missing bumper) What paint did you use for your tail light panel/license plate light? Looks like a dark "grey, not-quite-black" I'm looking for haha.

Thank you!

On the side, is that your car? (thrown off by the missing bumper) What paint did you use for your tail light panel/license plate light? Looks like a dark "grey, not-quite-black" I'm looking for haha.
That shot was taken during the reassembly process after the paint job. Was the best picture of the plates I could come up with on short notice.

The tail panel paint I used was from Les Canaday at http://classicdatsun.com/

This website may be of interest to you. Of course, it's not DIY.

I just sent him an e-mail to get a quote, may be worth it paying his price =)

hat shot was taken during the reassembly process after the paint job. Was the best picture of the plates I could come up with on short notice.

The tail panel paint I used was from Les Canaday at http://classicdatsun.com/

Beautiful paint job!

I seem to recall from something I read 20 or 30 years ago in the LA Times Auto section that it was possibly the numbers on the plates that reflected. The police would look for a lack of reflection as possible evidence of altered plates. If my memory is right, then the article advised against touching up the license plates.

Of course, you could go by the adage, "It's not illegal if you don't get caught."

Yea, I don't think they are. But either way, still hoping someone has done this before.

I got a quote from Rod at tagdr.com, his quote is $190 for two plates, $10 for return shipping. So around $200, and an extra $45 with rush service (for both plates).

I may go this route...