IGNORED

Looking To Buy 240Z...What To Look For.

Bates

Ello everyone. I am in the market for a 240Z and I think I finally found one I think is worth it. Just for the record, I will only drive Nissans. I currently own a 2002 Spec-V that I am boosting in a month, but I want something RWD, sexy, and classic for the weekends, and I think I found it.

It is a 1971 240Z. It has been upgraded with a 75' L28 block and N42 head shipped in a crate from Japan around 1990, and has a 5 speed from a 83 NA ZX.

The car runs fine and looks great, no body rust whatsoever. The car is sexy. I am going to look at it in person on Saturday, test drive it and what not. I need to know if there is anything to look for problem wise. I already know all the spots to check for rust (Though the seller has plenty of pictures below the car to show there is no rust), but in regards to this engine, and the car in general, I need to know if there is anything in particular to look out for. If any other information is needed please let me know. It has been my dream to own a S30, and if this car checks out, then in 2 weeks time, the dream may come true. Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks in advanced.

The engine:

drive_engine_bay.JPG

Welcome to the board, great to have another Z car fan.

The people here are very friendly & helpful.

There is a huge wealth of information. Search is your friend, this questions is asked many times and there have been some great guides of what to look for written previously. See these links as a start but reading and research will save you heartache in the future.

Scroll down to "Buying A Z Car-tips"

http://www.zhome.com/

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34770

http://www.practicalclassics.co.uk/buyingguide.php?sid=540&page=1

http://www.motortrend.com/classic/roadtests/c12_0511_instant_expert_1970_1973_datsun_240z/index.html

I have read some of these before and re-found them in 10 seconds with google "240z buyers guide".

The one picture looks great but does not tell much.

Call me skeptical but the statement of no body rust what so ever is a common thing in Z advertisements and by owners that most of time turn out not to be true, whether by deception or not. I learn't the hard way. Unless the car has been refreshed, all the rust fixed recently, or it has been hidden away for almost forty years I highly doubt that it is 'rust free'.

Best of luck in your search but do not let the excitement take over common sense and judgement. My best advice is to take someone who has worked on Z cars before, perhaps a member near you, with you to have a look and show all the common trouble area. I know I wish I had on my first Z.

Look forward to seeing you in your new Z when you find the right one.

Thanks for the great advice. I will study up on these tips from the links you sent me. I have 2 mechanics coming with me to look at the car, but I don't know any Z experts in the area to bring sadly. This car feels like fate for me. If this thing is as pretty in person as it is in the pictures, it will be mine in 2 weeks. Here are some more pictures of the car, any input and feedback would be most appreciated again:

240_PDL.JPG

240_PR.JPG

240_Rfloor.JPG

240_Dhalfshaft.JPG

240_rear.JPG

240_DF.JPG

pass_nose.JPG

front_driver.JPG

tail_gate.JPG

This is apparently the only known defect

tail_rust.JPG

Don't know what the asking price is, and there is clearly some rust on the car (see bubbling hatch paint, rust spot on the right rear fender tip), but it does look good. The sunroof sucks, they're not original and they tend to leak. Since you're in NJ, I assume its an East Cost car, and a pretty damn nice example at that. Based on the overspray on the weatherstripping, it looks like it was a "mid level" paint job. I wonder how the paint will look in a few years. But, assuming the price is right ($5,000+/-) I think you found a good one.

Edited by Weasel73240Z

Don't know what the asking price is, and there is clearly some rust on the car (see bubbling hatch paint, rust spot on the right rear fender tip), but it does look good. The sunroof sucks, they're not original and they tend to leak. Since you're in NJ, I assume its an East Cost car, and a pretty damn nice example at that. Based on the overspray on the weatherstripping, it looks like it was a "mid level" paint job. I wonder how the paint will look in a few years. But, assuming the price is right ($5,000+/-) I think you found a good one.

The car is from CA originally.

Yeah looks good for the price based on location and the photos, but check all the common z things. Those two mechanics going with you should also be very helpful. Shame about the sunroof and they cut up the lower rear panel for the double exhaust. The black spray underneath the rear of the car also seems weird to me as it is not a full undercoat and just looks like it was sprayed over everything (exhaust, fuel tank, diff, suspension, etc), hopefully it is not hiding rust or other damage. Like any car check, brakes, shocks, bushing, seals, bearings and most importantly previous accident damage. All these things end up costing money and time and in cars this old most likely something needs replacing. If the owner has taken care of it and done lots of work as it looks (repaint, engine swap, rear spoiler, etc) then he should have a history with him, so check through that to see what was replaced and when.

There are still plenty of Z cars out there do not rush in like I and so many have made the mistake of doing before. If it is not right walk away and keep looking for other cars. Patience is the best thing, my second Z is night and day to my first one and it came from shopping and waiting. Good luck.

Well, rust is always the number 1 thing to look for...all the buying guides linked above will give you great advice. Aside from universal general used car buying tips, some things specific to the Z might be:

1) Electrical system. Do all the lights/controls work? Does the windshield wiper motor work? Gauges? (other than the clock)

2) Doors. Do the doors open/close smoothly? Do the windows roll up/down freely?

3) Locks. Do all the locks work correctly?

4) Cables/mechanisms. Does the choke, hood, parking brake cables/levers all work smoothly?

5) RUST. If there is some visible rust...there is most likely 10 times that amount hidden elsewhere. Inspect carefully. Look for the tell-tale signs. Sunroofs leak, and despite how good it looks, I bet there is more lurking.

5) Bodywork. check your gaps, look for subtle imperfections. Some questionable areas can be discerned with a strong refrigerator magnet, with a clean terry cloth towel to protect the areas you are checking. (place the towel in between the magnet and body to protect the paint). Changes in the magnetic pull can help you determine areas with significant bondo.

Otherwise though, for 5K on the east coast, I would say you have a really good looking candidate from the pictures.

BTW, I also own a 2002 Spec V. Its my daily beater and it can still give me a smile every once in a while.

Zealous and Tbone, thank you so much for your input.

Zealous: Don't worry, we are going to check this car out hardcore. I am sad about the sunroof myself, the seller said he wishes himself it wasn't there but someone had it custom made before he owned the car. If I buy it, I may have it removed. I am in no rush, but I have been looking for a S30 for a long time, and I haven't looked at about 15 or so since starting my search years ago, this one looks so good that it prompted me to create a user name on this forum LOL.

Tbone: The magnet trick is a great idea, and I will keep that in mind come Saturday. Everyone who has answered so far seems pleased overall from the pictures of the car which is giving me high hopes. I will take my own pictures come Saturday and post them as well. But once my two mechanics give me the ok, it is pretty much a done deal. I plan on owning the car if everything checks out by the 26th.

Oh and I love my Spec-V. Can't wait to boost it in a few more weeks. :D Anyway, thank you again everyone who has answered, the more feedback I get on these pictures the more confident I am that I am going to be true a member on this wonderful forum coming the next 2 weeks.

Really? I hate my Spec V about 80% of the time. But, it gets me from point A to B reliably and has only left me stranded about 4-5 times since I bought it new in 2002. Fixes have been cheap, so at least I have that going for me.

Back to topic, for $5K, I think you're looking at a good example of a Z on the east coast...my only real suggestion is, if you decide to take that Z home, do yourself a favor and coat your floor's and undercarriage with some POR-15. Cant be too cautious over here on the East Coast...especially with that sunroof.

The mechanical and running condition would really not be that important if I were looking...I just named off some things that are a pain to repair sometimes due to availability of replacements.

Good luck with your hunt.

I'll chime in and reiterate that you need to really look hard for rust.

It's had a biff in the arse as you can see that the hatch doesn't line up correctly and the bumper is twisted.

Your mechanic mates will spot the rust for you if they are any good.

It looks like a quick respray to me as they didn't bother to remove nor even mask the engine bay brake lines prior. Hmmm, what is that paint hiding.

Sorry to be a skeptic but there are so many "great looking cars with minimal rust" that are in fact rust buckets. It would be wise to ensure that YOU get it up on a hoist so your mechanic mates and you can have a good dig at what's underneath.

Above all, buy with your brain and not your heart.

Good luck with the appraisal.

James

Edited by 240znz