IGNORED

How do you modify your S30?

Arne

How do you modify your S30?  

163 members have voted

1. 1. How do you modify your S30?

• I don't. Factory stock is where it's at!
    • Period correct mods only. Needs to be a '70s showpiece.
    • Period where it shows, but modern stuff where hidden.
    • Period or modern, who cares? Whatever makes it faster/better!
    • Modern all the way! Bring that classic into the 21st century!

On HLS30-30855 I am trying to stay period correct with everything I had modified back in the early 70's. The only thing I won't be able to is the 5 spd that I put in from Datsun Comp. (unless I can find one) It was replaced sometime after my 1st ownership period with a '79 5 speed. Of course the rubber bushings on the sway bars will be replaced with urethane. But so far I have been able to use the correct parts I have had to replace. There are some things I'd like to do, like the headlight wiring kits and alternator upgrade just to prevent electrical issues. So...I guess you could say period correct where ever possible and more recent on less noticeable.

My 70 had been modified by the PO in the same style as original but not genuine Datsun. My thoughts are that the majority of the car should look period, although some modern upgrades are acceptable. It should look like an old Z. If the car was more original when I purchased it, I would lean more toward all original.

My mods have mostly been in the undercarriage struts, bushings, brakes and an RT mount. mostly to make it handle and run safely. I also installed Dave's electrical upgrades as the wiring is a bit weak in the lighting department.

The PO had put headers and K&N's and a Ger Brock cam he had cut the springs and over lowered the car, something I redid. He also had 4:11 gears in it and a 4 speed from an automatic swap I think. The warranty booklet did not have either box checked. The 4 speed and smaller tires made for some fast reving. I put 3:54's in for now.

I enjoy it as it is and thats what counts the most. IMHO

TZ

I voted "Period or modern, who cares?" but since most of my mods were complete by 1983, perhaps today some would consider all of them "period." For instance, I have 15" wheels which aren't really "period" (meaning early '70s) but they are about 27 years old. I had a V-8 in the car for 5 years between '77 and '82 - that was a sorta "period" way to get more power as there were no 3.1 liter strokers back then or modern turbo/FI installations (discounting the Crown turbo).

Back in '72 I always thought that Datusn/Nissan should have had a "performance" upgrade package for the Z-car - and that should have been 3 liters, 180 HP (gross), 5-speed, and firmer suspension...and that's about where I'm at today (although at 2.8 liter)...

Edited by Goose52

Classic lines with modern day upgrades and comforts.

It's still a 70' but now it has Power windows, locks, alarm, 800 watt stereo with 6 speakers and 2 subs, updated suspension, tires and wheels, 5-speed tranny, Original Numbers Matching Block but no emissions, polished everything and big Ol' Aluminum Radiator.

I could go on but I've never had one single person say anything bad about my updates and upgrades. They just tell me that "It's a Beautiful Classic Z Car"

Good Question Arne.

Dave

I like stock (I'm even used to my big bumpers now), except for some Shelby slotted mags from a 240z. All my work now is to undo a couple of crappy mods (3 inch exhaust straightpipe) to return everything else back to stock. Almost there!

I've always thought that an owner should make a car their own. I'm coming from a z31 perspective and the usual goal there is to make the car as fast as money allows with attention to handing and braking too. I'm not much of a purist. My car suits me pretty well. I'm not crazy about the wood steering wheel or the square head lights but they don't bother me enough to change them. I'd rather have the L28et and a five speed than what's in the car now but it isn't a high priority.

I think a car should be your own, although I would lean more to period and stock, over modern mods. I prefer stuff that no one notices, things that blend into the car(headlight covers, 240 bumpers over my 78's monsters, konig rewinds instead of the steel wheels.) A V-8 in a z makes me grin, but honestly for me the 6 cyl is perfect, I rebuilt mine as true to stock as I could, except for the twice pipes...

I view my car as a malleable platform to modify any way I want to, a mobile sculpture that I will change at will and the only rules I need to obey are the ones which will keep me from being ticketed.

The latest mods are Klearz clear rear turn signal treatment and just look what I did with the front stock bumper that I could not get rid of that was sitting in my garage getting in the way. It has few fans but they don't have to drive it!:bunny:

post-19951-14150809988402_thumb.jpg

post-19951-14150809989078_thumb.jpg

Edited by dhp123166