IGNORED

3rd brake light options?

MEZZZ

I tried to search on this, I was wondering if anyone has any ideas/experience on installing a 3rd brake light. Not that it has happened to me (yet) but I dont want to be rear ended. The 3rd brake light has been mandatory in the U.S. since '86 I believe, my "85 Cadillac had one.

People are so used to seeing this I am wondering if I'm risking a rear end collision. I just got a set of JDM amber lenses yesterday and thought about how to go about putting a 3rd light in while back there.

I know the Corvette back in 85-86 had a roof mounted one tacked on, painted body color, dont want to go that route. Others fit in the inside of the rear window.

Is there any options out there that anyone knows of? I appreciate your comments/opinions.

Beautiful Arne, thank you! I like that it is a colorless lense to boot, seems like it would blend a bit better. Now I just need to figure out the angle of the rear window and palce my order...appreciate the reply.

I'm working on an LED version as we speak. it's a double row of 5mm superbrite Red LED's 20 per row for a total of 40 LED's.

It'll be at the proper angle and slide under the upper rubber lip of the inside of the hatch glass.

It'll be an easy instal for later 240Z's with seperate brake and turn signals. But the earlier 240Z's, with brake and turn signals on the same wire will reguire a diode on each light, then into the 3rd brake light wire.

Dave

Mezzz, it looks to be about 21 degrees for the slope of the window. I uses a side view of a car in Photoshop and places a slanted line in the back and it came to 21.3 degrees. Not real accurate but close. The one you are looking at goes from 20 to 36 degrees.

Is that a one-off design, or are you planning to make a mold or something for suplication?

BTW- when I started looking around, I fund that the one on a Saturn Ion had the same angle to the window, but didn' think the $60 price was justified.

Dave, since I like to support fellow members, I will gladly take one of your hands if you decide to make some. I have a 280, not sure if that matters with diodes and the like, I am not well versed. Let me know if you plan on doing some.

Mgood, thank you for the angle info.

Same angle. I was thinking about making a few for $65 each. It'll come with double stick tape pre-applied, Enough wire to easily tuck into the panels, all the way down to the left brake light, 2 T-Taps for the brake and ground wire, and bullet connectors up near the light.

All you'll have to do is lay on your back, with your feet sticking out the hatch, line up the light to center and against the rubber seal, hold it there while you pull the tapes backing off and press into place. Then run the power wire to the left taillight and make the connections to the green wire on one of the top 2 bulbs and the black ground wire. Done.

if you're interested, email me and let me know. And of coarse, shipping is included in the price.

Dave