IGNORED

r33 calipers on 240k struts??

24TKman

before i rip apart my rebuilt 240k struts to try and fit r33 4 pot calipers, i was wondering if anyone has done this before??

rang Datsport and was told "its too hard, get R31 struts".....

can i use the r33 5 stud hubs??

i know the toyota/hilux calipers are the go for an easy conv, but i dont have a set of them, but i do have 1 set of alloy nissan 4 spots & 1 set of cast iron nissan 4 spot callipers (what are these off) and a set of VL turbo calipers.

might have to ebay them the get the Hilux ones if there is no hope of fitting these??

hi......short answer is no....the problem with strut is the spacing between holes that mount the caliper....from memory the 240k strut is 86mm where the r33 caliper in 100mm. datsports makes a conversion bracket for the caliper, but i'm not sure if I would use them. (just for the record I have bought heaps of stuff from Barry and love everything he has sent me). The other question you need to ask yourself if do you want to lower the front end. If you need to lower the front (Are you going to put on GTR flares?) then you should try this option: Z31 front struts.....they sit from memory about 50mm lower...the actual insert is shorter and you can get them as heavy duty, if you want you can run the standard vented rotas in 4 bolt or 5 bolt with the r33 calipers.....BUT.....you will have to do a coilover conversion, which is available from Barry......The caliper looks tuff with the NISSAN logo stamped into it. Theres photos of my Front strut conversion on operation 240k, the only difference is that I've used the R33 rota as well, the z31 hub which is originaly squareish needed to be machined round so that the R33 rota will slip over the top......good luck

• 10 months later...

Hi guys thought would use this thread instead of making a whole new one to ask my question:

Im not real mechanically minded and wont be doing this conversion myself rather than getting someone else to help me.

I recently purchased some 5 stud 114.3 rims which I plan to use on my K. I looked down the path of a hub conversion kit which just jap sell but was talked out of it by the fact that my rims will stick out way too far and also because of lack of insurance most likely by installing these.

So I have come across a r32 gtr which I am able to get parts off for the stud conversion. First question is, is it easy enough to use hubs, rotors and brakes off a r32 gtr ?

Secondly if so what struts should I use that will fit with this setup making it as hassle free as possible? The K ones, r31, or the r32 gtr ones or.....?

And lastly what other problems am I likely to also come across doing this and what other parts am I missing? arms etc or?

I just pretty much need a list of everything I will need off this gtr so he can remove it for me.

Thanks very much, Matt.

Just curious, how exactly would your insurance company KNOW that you had installed hub conversion kits?

I always wonder about the "normal" things that people go through in other places relating to owning a car. That is the only reason that I ask. Is there actually someone who inspects your car before issuing a policy?

Personally the only cars that I ever had inspected by an insurance agent were ones that I had wrecked, and that was only for a claim adjustment. One of the cars had radical (for the time) after-market wheels, and the adjuster didn't even notice.

In Indiana we haven't even had mandatory safety inspections since the early 70's.

If the vehicle is involved in an accident where insurance is involved it is inspected, and if found "unroadworthy" insurance is cancelled and you have to foot the bill. So basically you can do what ever you like to the vehicle, but if insurance find out, they cancel it.

There are certain circumstances where it will be covered - i.e. it is a special insterest vehicle for show purposes only.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not 100% sure if the info I'm going to write is correct but im pritty sure I've read it on here so it's probly worth looking into

I'm pritty sure you can put Silvia (s13?) struts in the front, and you can get 5stud conversion kits for Silvia struts so that should be a fairly straight forward. But as I said I'm not 100% sure so mabey somebody can clarify this

• 2 months later...

I'm currently working on a set of z31 struts, which are shorter than the k ones and they will support the standard k hub, but have r32 rotors and calipers!.............I have a spare set of r32 brakes cause I'm also working on a r33 upgrade on my K...Will post pics when there completed.

• 6 months later...

you can also use some types of DR30 struts as they have the 100mm caliper spacing. Check the thickness off the strut spring if its a S13 as I accidentally bought some S14 KYB AGX and the spring is far too big it fit inside the K strut tower, not sure if the S13 is the same width spring as the S14 tho. I'm about to list these on ebay, don't make the same mistake as me.

I can't really give any other advice as I went down a completely different route with my K