Arne

Here's the final count:  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Here's the final count:

• [b]240-Z[/b]
    • [b]280-Z[/b]
    • [b]DATSUN[/b]

Here are the new ones.

I took as measurements as close as I could on my 280-Z. Again the black letters and numbers did shrink a little. I tweeked mine to fit the new measurements and added the subtle radius to the "0" and to the top of the "2". The spacing on each number is not the same and the width of each is also different by 1/8 inch.

I also over lay my Datsun over the Datsun on the back of the BRE and this is what I got. The one I did was very close, I just had to adjust the width of some of the letters.

The height of the 240-Z should be 2 15/16 inch on a background of 4 3/4 inches. I would make the Datsun the same and then it would be about 19 inches across the window. The 140-Z and the 280-Z will be 20 3/8 inches across the window.

Arnie I will send them to you at 300 ppi or full size via email when they are completely approved and you are ready to go.

post-13827-14150809292589_thumb.jpg

post-13827-1415080929279_thumb.jpg

post-13827-14150809292898_thumb.jpg

One more reservation for a DATSUN sunshade this morning, which exhausts the expanded supply of those so far. If I get more requests soon, I can still add to the order, but that window is closing soon, I suspect.

Updated availability stats (12/14/09):

Item | 240-Z | DATSUN | Total |
-------------------------------------------
Ordered | 40 | 24 | 64 |
Paid for | 36 | 21 | 57 |
Pending | 3 | 3 | 6 |
-------------------------------------------
Available | 1 | 0 | 1 |

Here are the new ones.

I took as measurements as close as I could on my 280-Z. Again the black letters and numbers did shrink a little. I tweeked mine to fit the new measurements and added the subtle radius to the "0" and to the top of the "2". The spacing on each number is not the same and the width of each is also different by 1/8 inch.

I also over lay my Datsun over the Datsun on the back of the BRE and this is what I got. The one I did was very close, I just had to adjust the width of some of the letters.

The height of the 240-Z should be 2 15/16 inch on a background of 4 3/4 inches. I would make the Datsun the same and then it would be about 19 inches across the window. The 140-Z and the 280-Z will be 20 3/8 inches across the window.

Arnie I will send them to you at 300 ppi or full size via email when they are completely approved and you are ready to go.

Something doesn't look quite right with these. Namely, the 2, 4, & 8 in these new images look skinny compared to the 0 & Z, or perhaps the 0 & Z are too fat. What I'm talking about here is the width of the lines that make up the chars, not the overall width of the chars.

Also, something looks off with the inner radiuses of the D (the inner void is too square) in DATSUN, as well as the inner/lower/left radius of the S in the DATSUN. Sorry to nit pick but I like the versions in post #106 better than these latest incarnations. Please take another look at these.

Sorry to nit pick but I like the versions in post #106 better than these latest incarnations. Please take another look at these.
Don't be sorry. In this case, nit-picking is good. We want to come up with the best possible compromise, since the original stencils aren't available. (That would have been best, we all know.)

After reading Adam's comments, I think I agree. While I like the slightly oval'd shape of the zero in the ones in post #121, in most every other way I prefer either post #106 or posts #113 (240-Z) and #114 (DATSUN).

Here is the retweek on the Datsun, I over layed it over the Datsun on the back of the BRE car I copied it from, so you can see how close it is.

I hope this is closer, you can see that it does distort some when I enlarged it. The "S" is the problem, it looks mor distorted that the other letters.

I am now working on the 240-Z so I can see if I can improve on the numbers.

post-13827-14150809303257_thumb.jpg

Well, the 240-Z is better, but the 4 still strikes me as being odd. The latest DATSUN looks good, and matches the BRE car logo pretty well. But what it doesn't match is my memory of how the DATSUN lettering on these sunshades looked in the old days. I still think that the either the DATSUN in posts #106 or #114 look closer to my memory.

As for the 240-Z, again I keep going back to #106 as being the most consistent from character to character, still looking like what I remember.

And in reality, I have not yet confirmed that the maker of these can accept an image file like this to created the necessary stencils from. I can certainly make suggestions based on the work here, but may need to trust him to tweak his fonts to try to match whichever we settle on here.

Here is DATSUN one more time.

The red background is the BRE car. The gray and off white is from the enlarging the image too much.

Black that you can just see peeking out around in areas is the last one I did.

The green are the letters from the one in post #114 that every one likes best.

post-13827-141508093035_thumb.jpg