IGNORED

solid differential mount

Can someone (anyone) please provide me with information concerning the benefits of a "solid differential mount"?

My 240Z (series one model) stock rubber differential mount is in need of replacement, again! Replacing a differential mount after only serving seven months doesn't seem reasonable, or the least bit appealing.

An R200 upgrade from my R180, as some have suggested, doesn't seem necessary, nor a cure (the extra weight wouldn't be welcomed either). Besides, it's not as if I ran a 300hp, L28, stroker-torquer. I favor a road-race setup so I kept the L24-E31 to maintain higher revs. and carefully trimmed fat where I could.

My stiff-lowering springs, after market firm suspension, low-pro tires, and urethane bushings (to include the mustache bar) leaves my Z void of any comfort now. Having said that, are there any other characteristics associated with running a solid differential mount I should be aware of?

Your advice is deeply appreciated, thank you.---Jerry

Jerry,

I've always run a solid rear diff mount on my road race cars.

With all the other high performance suspension items you have, adding one will not make the car ride any harsher. It will however keep some extra strain off your u-joints (I recommend Spicer u-joints btw). With a rubber mount there will be unnecessary extra movement in the joints -- which can only cause faster wear and possibly premature failure.

I think it is the only way to go -- plus you won't have to replace the rubber ones as often.

As far as the R200... I've been running R180s (have to because of the SCCA rules) and have never had a failure or any problems. My friend who runs a 280Z has had many half-shaft failures -- until he had them shot-peened. My R180 is a 4.11 from the front of an 84 4x4. It was welded into a full locker. I've been running it for six years with no problems and no maintenance other than replacing the gear lube once each season.

Mr. Hanson---- A solid differential mount has been dangling around my Z maybe-someday-to-do-list for quite sometime now. Having read your reply, I now feel confident that this particular modification, for me, is appropriate.Your resume is one of envy. Especially in light of your actual time and experience logged on a race track.

Speaking of which, I wonder how long, if ever, it will take before the racing technology found on today's F1 cars (arguably the state of the art in Motorsports) reach us commoners. I realize they spend millions on materials and R&D (not to mention driver salaries like Ferrari ace MS rumored to be in the hundreds of millions) on these fine thorough breds. However, the three basic principle found on these cars are as follows;monocock-to-engine-to-gear box (carbon/Ti blade suspension mounts right atop the gear box). The V10, 700HP @1800 plus RPM, gasket free (yup, presicion cuts equal no head gasket), go anywhere-fits in your trunk engines aren't too shabby either.

Hell, can't the Japanese (who supply motors to a few F1 Teams now to include Toyota's full team effort) copy this principal and come up with a cheaper version?

It would sure trim the pages off a parts catalogue. Murphy's law would only apply times three. I'll take those odds.

I don't mean to base on our Z, just the opposite really. I love my Z so much, making time spent under the hood, time missed hurling across asphalt.

Anyway, thanks again on your most insightful information.---Jerry