IGNORED

5 Speed transmission identifying question.

esprist

I could be wrong, since we don't have a nice straight-on picture, but the bell housing to block bolt spacing doesn't look like it fits an L-series to me. Take a look at this picture, especially where the bolt holes are near the starter, and compare.

http://www.classiczcars.com/classifieds/showfull.php?product=3741&bigimage=IMG_1103.jpeg

I could be wrong, since we don't have a nice straight-on picture, but the bell housing to block bolt spacing doesn't look like it fits an L-series to me. Take a look at this picture, especially where the bolt holes are near the starter, and compare.

http://www.classiczcars.com/classifieds/showfull.php?product=3741&bigimage=IMG_1103.jpeg

あrtr

You are right!!!! Starter appears to be at top, not side/middle on L engines.

Now problem solved. I will not buy this unit!!!!

Thanks bunch for all of you guys!

Esprist

Need to inform the seller and the person he got it from that they are not for L series engines. Perhaps they're for trucks like the 720, D21, etc.

Could it be used on Z cars if you replace the bell housing?

Esprist

Could it be used on Z cars if you replace the bell housing?

Esprist

The bell housing appears to be integral with the trans case. You have to modify it similar to the Z31 trans modification in the thread I linked. I don't know, not knowing what vehicle it's for, you don't know what the ratios are. Would it really be worth the hassle? Edited by sblake01

The bell housing appears to be integral with the trans case. You have to modify it similar to the Z31 trans modification in the thread I linked. I don't know, not knowing what vehicle it's for, you don't know what the ratios are. Would it really be worth the hassle?

Is it for 200SX Later model?

I saw your comment from a while back....

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21054&highlight=200sx+transmission

If that engine is slanted, it explaines why the stater opening is up there...

Esprist

It could be. An 80-83 had the Z20 and I believe the later 84 and up use the CA18/20. Both are slanted for hood clearance.[/quote

I just talked to someone who actually did it with only bell housing swap.

Thank you for your info and help!

Esprist

I think this is the one RHChew is referring to Arne, http://www.zcar.com/forums/read/12/2031365.

-Mike

Mike is pointing to the same one I was referencing. Pictures and part numbers are identical.

I am a 1972, original S30 owner. Been through 3 5 speeds. First was from a 2 Liter Roadster from Nissan competition. Kept popping out of gear while accelerating, returned it. Bell housing and drive shaft swap, too.

I'd like to point out, my second 5 speed in 1974 was from a European equivalent 620/720 pickup truck with a very wide and sweeping shift lever, and wide shift (RPM) ratio. Naturally, Euro shift pattern.

Bell housing needed swapping, and used the shorter drive shaft (again), and the 720's pressure plate package....height sensitive.

Great for mileage and touring use.

My current 5 spd referenced in earlier post on this thread is from an 83 zx NA, close ratio.

The 5 speed close ratio matches the 3.9 R200 I just swapped.

Yes, awesome because this pairing and the 065 model cam (American) (high lift and short duration, barely audible loping) that I got through Pierre's in Hawthorne, CA is awesome. I'm pulling at 2800 to 3000rpm upward (original tach(?) is not that reliable an indicator). Original SU's, L28, domed pistons, meaning regular, unleaded.

The current close ratio 5 speed from the ZX did not require a bell housing swap. Clutch is height sensitive in this model. Either use a 720 pressure plate throw out bearing combo or use the 83 ZX package. Don't forget the roller pilot bearing or brass bushing swap. The needles from the roller pilot bearing literally fell out when pulled.

Edited by RHChew

I'd like to point out, my second 5 speed in 1974 was from a European equivalent 620/720 pickup truck with a very wide and sweeping shift lever, and wide shift (RPM) ratio. Naturally, Euro shift pattern.

What's a "Euro shift pattern"?

Does it have a moustache, and speak with a funny accent?

What's a "Euro shift pattern"?

Does it have a moustache, and speak with a funny accent?

Close, enough to freedom fries and pre-Ford Lucas electrical reliability!

The placement of reverse is opposite of our normal US shift pattern. Parking lot attendants who are accustomed to US 5 Speed would put the Euro trans into reverse instead of first gear.