IGNORED

Are Reproduction parts a good thing or an evil thing

hls30.com

Are Reproduction parts a good thing or an evil thing  

254 members have voted

1. 1. Are Reproduction parts a good thing or an evil thing

• Reproduction parts "suck the sweat from a..."
    • Reproduction parts enable me to restore my car.
    • Reproduction parts are cheaters tools
    • Reproduction parts fill in the blanks I could not find.
    • Reproduction parts lower the value of my original parts
    • Reproduction parts are acceptable alternatives to NLA unobtanium parts.
    • Reproduction parts could be in better shape than my original parts.
    • Reproduction parts mean I can finish my project.
    • Reproduction Parts intrduce unfair competition into the stock class of carshows.
    • Reproduction parts even the playing field and allow greater competition in the stock class
    • I spent copious amounts of time and money to get my original parts.
    • Paint, air in the tires, weather stripping, fluids are all reproduction parts-whats the big deal?
    • using Any reproduction parts is cheating.
    • Using reproduction parts lowers the costs of restoration
    • Using reproduction parts cheepens the hobby!

It's a very reasonable post. I for one am interested to see how many fall into the "it's got to be 100% original category...

They are building concours cars for show, and then there are some just want originality.

On the flip side, I think most of us just want nice drivers and there are those who significantly modify their cars. I fall into the third group. For the latter two groups, repo parts are often a good choice.

• 1 month later...

I like to use Datsun parts when they are available and affordable. But when a rare screw cost $400 or something, well heck, perfection starts to lose its luster. Also when a part is no longer available, I've found some folks that have worked very hard to produce a duplicate of the original. Some of them are damn good. One example is when I couldn't get new original stock springs. So I went to a spring company and got them to agree to make springs to stock specs, and we got some. A number of people bought them through Courtesy Nissan. There are many examples like that.

Edited by bpilati

I like to use Datsun parts when they are available and affordable. But when a rare screw cost $400 or something, well heck, perfection starts to lose its luster. Also when a part is no longer available, I've found some folks that have worked very hard to produce a duplicate of the original. Some of them are damn good. One example is when I couldn't get new original stock springs. So I went to a spring company and got them to agree to make springs to stock specs, and we got some. A number of people bought them through Courtesy Nissan. There are many examples like that.

Here is an example of fine reproduction part.

Can you tell if this is an original?

One-off fog light switch shown here. Can a judge spot this?

If is is high quality repro-part, that's what it takes in my opinion. Has ZCCA judges alway deducted points off a car because of aftermarket weather strip kit, cartridges in struts(canot even see!), Made in Taiwan bushings, and so on?

Esprist

post-16910-14150806921731_thumb.jpg

I need a hazard switch for a '71 and think that a reproduction part in this case is the way to go. I would like to inquire whether they may offer a hazard version of that fog light switch.

Regarding this thread...Why put something like an electronic switch that is 30 + years old back in as a replacement if there is reproduction parts. Unless my PO was stranded on the side of the road more than the average Z owner and fired the hazards alot...I don't hold much faith in an original used switch holding up any better than the one that I just took out.

just my opinion...just trying to make it as good as new...or slightly better but not visible.LOL

Espirit,

i went back and reread my first post...I'm confusing the situation with my post.

I was agreeing with you that a reproduction part is very acceptable, especially when you can't visibly tell that it isn't original or it can't be found anymore.

I am in need of a hazard switch and would love to know if there are any reproduction hazard switches made before I succumb to putting in a 30 year old replacement switch. I thought maybe the manufacturer of the reproduction fog light switch is maybe also producing the hazard switch for a '71. Do you know who that manufacturer is?

Hopefully this clears up my comments and questions.

Thanks and sorry for the confusion.

Steve

I am in need of a hazard switch and would love to know if there are any reproduction hazard switches made before I succumb to putting in a 30 year old replacement switch. I thought maybe the manufacturer of the reproduction fog light switch is maybe also producing the hazard switch for a '71. Do you know who that manufacturer is?

Hopefully this clears up my comments and questions.

Thanks and sorry for the confusion.

Steve

Sorry, I made this fog switch by modifying hazard switch. As far as I know, no one is reproducing them. But I have a piece of advice to you here.

The knob on 1969-1971 have different graphic and also have different components inside. But, you can totally swap what is inside of 72-72 into old ones. So my suggestion to you is to buy few used ones for back up. They are farely easy to restore inside. Take it apart, and clean all the conductors. At the end, grease up the spring loaded nipple.

Esprist