conedodger

Let's show vintage racing pictures. I'll start.

Found another... Not sure if the car is real or replica though...

Thanks Rob, very cool, that looks like the real deal, I'd like to know what venue/date it was taken, we can probably dig up some race results. The Frisselle car is in the background too.

This picture is from last weekend at Blackhawk Farms in Northern Illinois. A guy from Chicago who owns this vintage racer went out for his maiden voyage in it. He titled this shot "First pics of the Datsuns that blew my doors off". Not sure who the Datsuns belong to. Phil is that you in one of them?

post-16545-14150810714571_thumb.jpg

Here is another... Not sure of the race or date on that last one. Maybe someone will recognize the track.

Watkins Glen. Looks like the IMSA Sam Posey car.

This picture is from last weekend at Blackhawk Farms in Northern Illinois. A guy from Chicago who owns this vintage racer went out for his maiden voyage in it. He titled this shot "First pics of the Datsuns that blew my doors off". Not sure who the Datsuns belong to. Phil is that you in one of them?

That was our (Midwest Council's) first event of the year and no, I wasn't there. The red Z is Joe Ziltener's, he runs triple SU's on a homemade manifold. Greyghost has a few engine bay pics of the car in his gallery here.

The black Z is Mark Atkinson's, he posts here occasionally as Kronoss. Mark won the race after Joe made a mistake and went off in 7. I'm very happy for Mark, he's had nothing but problems with the car up until now.

Bill Oakes was also there with the ex-mountain motorsports ITS car that he's owned for the last 3 or 4 years, with one of my transmissions in it no less!

Here's the race start:

Hey, thanks Phil!...but the results certainly would have been different had you been there :)

Let's hope you'll be joining us at Blackhawk over Memorial Day.

–Mark

Hey, thanks Phil!...but the results certainly would have been different had you been there :)

Let's hope you'll be joining us at Blackhawk over Memorial Day.

–Mark

That's interesting. Both your car and my friends 914 have the number 89. Am I not seeing that right? I can't see your number in my friend's picture but I can see his and yours is in your avatar.

Rob,

If I remember correctly, they had your pal switch to "189"...hard to see in the pic, but I think the added "1" is on there.

Hopefully he had a good time and he'll race with us again.

Oh he will. That is a real no kidding vintage racer and he has been working like a dog to get it ready and actually go racing instead of just wishing he were racing.

Check these out... Pretty sure these are from back in the day.

post-16545-14150811113001_thumb.jpg

More from 914 guy Glenn Stazak and the Midwest Council races. He is having fun with you guys...

I was there as a spectator/observer. There's something to be said for not having to worry about anything and watching everyone else deliberate. :) It was a hot weekend too with temps in the 90's. Bill (red 240, 3rd pic) had that 914 on his tail the entire race, he was spent afterwards.

Your friends 914 sounds awfully tame, but rightfully so, makes the most sense starting out with something like that.

Andy Besic has a nice Ferrari replica which he's been running with us. He qualified on pole but DNF'd. Joe, other red Z won.

post-9538-14150811181215_thumb.jpg

I mentioned to Glenn that you thought his car sounded a little tame. His response:

I am running an old 2.2 E motor with a sport muffler, it is a trainer motor.

That yellow 914 driver must be something because that car looks stock and he was running with the big boys.

Glenn Stazak

It was great to see Glenn out there again. Heat and humidity was brutal...I ran 2 races back to back and later doubted my judgement on that decision. How Gurney, Foyt, etc survived those 3 hour enduros at Riverside is beyond me.

My webers weren't happy with the weather either, way off the pace, I never arrived at a decent tune-up that day. Next time.

This is really vintage and not Datsun but I think those of you who race will recognize this look... I call it the "oh $^!#" look!

post-16545-1415081118916_thumb.jpg

I came across this site today with a ton of vintage Z photos. It looks like a few are from members here.

http://sites.google.com/site/zlalomz/imsagtuz

Its can be a little difficult to navigate to all of the pictures so here are a few more direct links:

http://sites.google.com/site/zlalomz/page1redo

http://sites.google.com/site/zlalomz/moreimsagtuzracing

http://sites.google.com/site/zlalomz/imsagturacingpage3

http://sites.google.com/site/steveparmleycameraguy/imsa-gt-u-datsun-z

-Mike