IGNORED

Uneven Rear Hatch on '71

lm71z

The left side of the rear hatch on my '71 240z doesn't sit flush with the body when it's closed. I'm assuming this is a common issue with the 240's because of the single hydraulic on the left side of the hatch. Is there any way to make the hatch sit perfectly even again?

No, there is no right hatch strut. The 240z's only had one hatch strut on the left side. I think they started using 2 hatch struts on the 260z's. Is there any way I can adjust the hinges to make the hatch sit flat when it's closed?

By "right" I meant correct...my bad.

I'm wondering if you have a strut that is slight too long and the hatch isn't seating properly...otherwise...warped hatch...

If I recall correctly when I was playing with my hatch, there is a (minimal) adjustment possible.

One other thought, any uneven rubber seals?

What am I missing, here? The hatch hinges are adjustable four ways where they bolt to the body. There is no adjustment where the hinge bolts to the hatch, itself. I would just remove the support strut from the hatch, loosen the hinge bolts at the body, and see what you can do to realign the fit of the hatch.

You will need another pair of hands to support the hatch while you make these adjustments. Hope this helps, but let us know.

Dan

P.S.

Wick Humble's book, "How To Restore Your DATSUN Z-CAR", is invaluable when doing anything to your car, as well as the search function of this site. Good Luck!

What am I missing, here? The hatch hinges are adjustable four ways where they bolt to the body. There is no adjustment where the hinge bolts to the hatch, itself. I would just remove the support strut from the hatch, loosen the hinge bolts at the body, and see what you can do to realign the fit of the hatch.
I'd be thrilled if that worked. My hatch sits nice and even with the support strut removed. But the tension from the gas pressure pushes the left edge up when the strut is in place. I've tried to adjust this both with and without the strut with no success so far.

attachment.php?attachmentid=27329&d=1230502537

post-8596-14150805665984_thumb.jpg

I'd be thrilled if that worked. My hatch sits nice and even with the support strut removed. But the tension from the gas pressure pushes the left edge up when the strut is in place. I've tried to adjust this both with and without the strut with no success so far.

attachment.php?attachmentid=27329&d=1230502537

Arne, is your support strut stock, or aftermarket? I just had a look at mine, and, with the hatch down, not latched, and just sitting on the latching mechanism, there is absolutely no tension pushing up from the support strut as it is lying almost parallel, now, with the hatch. unless the support strut is too long, ie., not designed for your z, I can't see how it could be pushing up on that corner of the hatch.

I don't question what is going on with your cars, I'm just trying to envision what geometry is creating this kind of push. Could it be that, with your hatch closed, the piston rod had reached the end of its travel length before being fully retracted into the strut housing? Does that make any sense?

Dan

I had this problem some time ago.... It ended up that there was a small dent in the strut tube which prevented the piston from fully seating... might be worth looking to see if the travel of the rod is full range...

FWIW