IGNORED

Media Blasting Resurrection of the Horns

DeesZ

I've been having a lot of fun lately cleaning up piles of parts with my media blaster. My focus has been on mostly doing cast aluminum parts and nuts & bolts, and experimenting with different media. Today I looked at my horns and they were horrible, so I took them off, gave them a cleaning, and reinstalled them. If anyone is interested, I've attached a few pictures of 'before' & 'after'.

post-9676-1415080452701_thumb.jpg

nasty, nasty....

post-9676-14150804527592_thumb.jpg

but they cleaned up real well....

post-9676-14150804527907_thumb.jpg

post-9676-14150804528133_thumb.jpg

post-9676-14150804528344_thumb.jpg

post-9676-14150804528567_thumb.jpg

Nice work! So when can I send my horns to you for restoration?

-Mike

Thanks, Mike!

Drop yours in Parcel Post tomorrow and I'll have them done for you next weekend! (Not kidding..... ) Does the semi-gloss black work for you? I am guessing that is how they came new. Can anyone verify that or tell me otherwise?

Check out my gallery and albums for other items that have been cleaned up.... it may inspire you to send more than just the horns.

Edited by DeesZ

Looks great! My horns were redone in a satin black by the PO, and look good enough for me but I have heard the original color was a drab dark greenish color. Maybe that is a year specific thing? Someone will know about that.

What kind of media did you find worked the best for blasting cast aluminum? I would be interested in finding what works the best on various parts.

Looks great! My horns were redone in a satin black by the PO, and look good enough for me but I have heard the original color was a drab dark greenish color. Maybe that is a year specific thing? Someone will know about that.

What kind of media did you find worked the best for blasting cast aluminum? I would be interested in finding what works the best on various parts.

Thanks, Geezer. Hopefully more will chime in with the "correct color" issue.

As for media on cast aluminum, it depends what you are starting with and looking for as an end result. For really dirty, stained parts, I use a medium or fine grit coal slag. It cuts nicely just about anything (also etches glass nicely!) This stuff is great for removing scratches, file marks (like those that remain after filing off some casting marks), etc. You'll find it marketed under various names, usually with the word "black" incorporated (e.g. Black Magic, Black Beauty, Black Diamond, etc.). Also, it's dirt cheap if you can find it locally and avoid shipping costs. A smoother finish can be had with fine glass beads. Often I will do two passes; first with coal slag, second with glass beads. In the blaster right now I am using a mixture of about 50~50% coal slag and glass beads. This gives me the convenience of being able to deep clean quickly and have a reasonably smooth finish (but not as smooth as glass beads alone). The picture of the blasted horn is an example what this media mixture does. I've found beads great for finishing, but not very good at removing (quickly) heavier rust, paint, etc. Coal slag is quick at that. Aluminum oxide and garnet are also great, but my sources make those prohibitively expensive. (If anyone knows a cheap source, please let me know!)

There is also room to get creative if you have different media at your disposal. Here's a picture of a cam cover that was finished overall with fine glass bead media, then I hand cut a resist of a "Z" and hit it with coal slag for about three seconds.... I call it the 'ghost Z'. I am looking for a good source of graphics for additional potential etchings, as a friend of mine has a plotter set up to cut resist material from good digital images (this will save me a ton of time with the X-acto knives!). This one was done by transferring the image (pencil etching) from the "Z" on the hatch of my '72, so it's an 'authentic' shape/font.

Generally I finalize everything with a coat of hi-temp clear coat. This mutes the 'sparkle' that you'll have after blasting and darkens thing up a bit, but the surface won't pick up stains and dirt nearly as quickly. There are other pictures of my tinkering in my gallery.

Thanks for your interest. I guess you can tell I enjoy the time that I spend at the media cabinet. I'm glad I got a big one, or I'd be out there looking to upgrade.

Attached: several shots of the cam cover with the two types of media used. I think that this is a good way to show the difference between glass beads and coal slag media as well.... Note that the lettering and lands on the top of the cover were mildly polished with a very fine grit wet paper, and also clear coated.

post-9676-14150804534272_thumb.jpg

post-9676-14150804534754_thumb.jpg

post-9676-14150804535238_thumb.jpg

post-9676-14150804535606_thumb.jpg

That is one unique cam cover! Black Beauty, I am familiar with and I find it to be one of the fastest cutting media I've used. I've been blasting for many decades but never had a cabinet and have only attacked rust on steel and experimented on aluminum. I've talked with someone who does the 3D images by using 3 pieces of glass with the corresponding images and he said he uses varying grits of Black Beauty to achieve different finish textures. He says he gets more sense of accomplishment doing creative blasting than any other home hobby. I'm going to look at your gallery now...Nice work!

I figured out where I heard about the horn color, but I still don't know if that is year specific.

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19895&highlight=radiator+support&page=2

Go to post #29

Mikewags, did you see the 1st post?

Ah ok, cool. I wondered where the horns went in the S30's. Anyone ever replace the stock horns with something a little louder...like an air horn or something as equally loud?

I've considered it just to get the attention of dumbass drivers on their cellphone so they don't merge into my beautiful paintjob. :)

That is one unique cam cover! Black Beauty, I am familiar with and I find it to be one of the fastest cutting media I've used. I've been blasting for many decades but never had a cabinet and have only attacked rust on steel and experimented on aluminum. I've talked with someone who does the 3D images by using 3 pieces of glass with the corresponding images and he said he uses varying grits of Black Beauty to achieve different finish textures. He says he gets more sense of accomplishment doing creative blasting than any other home hobby. I'm going to look at your gallery now...Nice work!

I figured out where I heard about the horn color, but I still don't know if that is year specific.

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19895&highlight=radiator+support&page=2

Go to post #29

Mikewags, did you see the 1st post?

Thanks for the compliment, Geezer! I appreciate that..... have been thinking about how to supplement my income with this hobby, as I do enjoy it very much and have the equipment to at least start-up production. I've got to give some serious thought to how to 'price' a service, taking in to consideration making a good deal while at the same time getting reimbursed for the materials, other overhead (like long-run needing a new compressor, media, time). I have a friend at work who has started a business doing glass, stone, plexiglass, etc., but no car parts. He loves the work and it shows in his end products. He's got the equipment to make me the resists that I would need for creative work, so I wouldn't have that cost, up front, anyway.... It's a thought that I may pursue. I never knew what "clean" and "refreshed" meant until I got the cabinet! I'm certain others would like the results, so I may think about marketing a service. Anybody got any good ideas?

Ah ok, cool. I wondered where the horns went in the S30's. Anyone ever replace the stock horns with something a little louder...like an air horn or something as equally loud?

I've considered it just to get the attention of dumbass drivers on their cellphone so they don't merge into my beautiful paintjob. :)

I've been considering something louder, too, for the same reasons. (I'll just box up the stock horns and shelve them with the 1,000 other parts I have sitting around.)

What has anyone else done? I don't really want to go with air horns (at least I don't think so right at the moment) or ones that play "Dixie", just something louder.... Suggestions?