IGNORED

Any Thoughts on New Tires?

Oiluj

Time to put rubber on my new 15" wheels and get them on the car.

I'm thinking of 205 x60x15". In this size there aren't too many performance choices, but the car will be lowered 1" and I don't want any rubbing problems associated with wider tires. I'd even consider scaling down to 195x65 tire.

Bridgestone's RE-960AS Pole Position looks pretty good, but I'm wondering what other's can recommend.

I'm looking for a good "dry" performance tire that will also work in the rain. No requirement for snow or ice. I want something that rides reasonably and is not noisy on the freeway. I like the look of a directional tread, but this is secondary. Yes, I know, I want it all...

My usage will be street use, (no street racing), and the occasional "fun-run" autocross.

Any insight you can share?

post-15388-14150804087118_thumb.jpg

For a wider selection of performance rubber, you might want to consider 205/55-15 as well. Yes, it's a bit shorter than stock, but not too much. Still no clearance problems.

If you do go 205/55, I'm partial to Toyos, either Proxes 4 or Proxes T1-R.

For a wider selection of performance rubber, you might want to consider 205/55-15 as well. Yes, it's a bit shorter than stock, but not too much. Still no clearance problems.

If you do go 205/55, I'm partial to Toyos, either Proxes 4 or Proxes T1-R.

Thanks for the input! I'll check them out.

What do you think about Cooper tires? If I remember right you used to be in tires??
Yeah, I was. For over 20 years. But that ended just over 10 years ago, so my knowledge of any brands that I haven't personally used lately is rather dated.

That said, 10 years ago Cooper was a very conservative company, no true performance offerings at all. Most of their tires were quite durable, but they also tended to be heavy, and not overly grippy.

Not sure that my observations mean much today,, as much has changed in the past 10 years. FWIW.

Edited by Arne

Just reasearched this myself, so I can share my thoughts. Nothing much new here, though.

The Falken ZE- 912's were recently well-reviewed in Grassroots motorsports. I agree with Arne on the Toyo's if they meet your budget. The Falkens would be a less expensive tire, and they come 205/55/15 or 225/50/15, both of which should fit well. Many folks run 225's without rubbing trouble, but a few have reported a bit of rubbing, so it depends on the exact tire, your car, wheel offset, camber settings, etc.

It seems like 225/50's and 205/60's are the most popular (street) sizes folks run. The 205/60's will be taller (larger diameter). 205/55's are a more rare size, but lately there seem to be quite a few tire options.

It looks like you've got 15x7 Panasports pictured there (or perhaps Rota RB's?). The Panasports are usually 0 degree, and the Rota's a very close, +4mm ET I believe), so any of the three tire options should work for you (with the 225's could be tight - caveat)

After questioning Arne and researching this forum for several days, I am pulling the trigger and ordering 225/50/15 tires today. My '71 is lowered about an inch and I have read that "some" have rubbing problems, but I guess we will see. I had to go to 15 inch wheels since I've added bigger brakes and really didn't want to go to 16 inch. I'll let ytou know in a few days if there are rubbing issues. I hope not!