IGNORED

What are these parts?

I think these are just emissions parts. I am about ready to take them off, but want to be sure. I have looked them up in my how to restore your 240Z book, but they give little more than a name. I honestly do not see what their purpose is at this point. Perhaps they had something to do with some form of emissions equipment? The guys at hybrid Z said it has something to do with idle control?

Any help would be great.

Throttle opener control valve and servo diaphragm? That's all I've ever known about them as even the FSM doesn't go into any detail. I've had a couple of people I know with 240Zs ask about those and my research found basically nothing. Usually that type of setup has to to with fast idle control on an air conditioning system but I know that's not the case here.

As Douglas Adams would say, those parts are 'mostly harmless'. If you're going to remove 'all' of the emissions stuff, go ahead. But if you can't or don't want to pull it all, they won't hurt a thing to still be there.

In fact, pretty much all the emissions stuff on '70-72 240Zs falls under that category - mostly harmless. There is very little to be gained by removing any of it.

As best I can I remember about this portion of the early smog systems is they were intended to prevent quick return of the throttle, when you lifted the throttle......the thought was to decrease the amount of fuel/air being dumped into the intake during throttle lift.

Tom

OH man, I love the solutions the early pioneers of emissions took. The ideas are often creative. I am not looking to gain any HP or Performance. Mostly, It would make it easier to get my scrubber brush in there to clean up my manifold. ;)

Thanks 240ZX.. I would wager that I would have seen that if I blipped the throttle and saw it move, but alas, the diaphragm in it, as in my vacuum advance is long since rotted away. I cannot wait to get home and free up some dead weight. I think I will keep them and clean them up though and bag them. I may want to get new ones one day if I ever decide to do a complete restoration.

I pulled that smog gear off of my '71, with no ill effects. You will have to block up a couple of vacuum ports on the balance tube after you delete those two bits. I used some rubber caps, but I see that others have welded those closed or connected the two ports together with rubber tubing.

I just connected the two ports on the balance tube together with a piece of tubing. One of the vacuum operated bits had a bad diaphragm inside and squealed horribly. To the untrained eye it looks stock, but they're really not hooked up to anything, and it doesn't make any noticeable difference.

When I put my 73 back together, I removed the air pump just to lose some weight, but I put all of the stuff on the balance tube back on, including the things you circled. Then, I removed them just because I wanted to clean up and simplify the engine bay. I found no change at all in the way the car ran.

Looks so much better without them. :love:

post-14988-1415080382176_thumb.jpg