• Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

Tim 76' 280Z

Tim 76' 280Z

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • LocationOregon-Sweet Home
Well I just fueled up for the seconed time since have in the car and I got 15 miles per gallon... Is this good or bad? I would have to ssay its bad.... If so what can i do???

sblake01

sblake01

Former frequent poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,580 posts
  • LocationSan Bernardino, Ca. U.S.A.
It all has to do with condition and adjustment/operation of the fuel system components. My 78 gets 19-20 city, 24-26 hwy and I've heard of better than that.
2004 Ford Ranger EDGE Supercab
(@Moonpup: This one really is an EDGE!)
2005 Pontaic GTO
2010 Mercedes Benz C300 AMG Sportline (Wife's car)
2014 Kia Rio LX (Wife's daily driver)
Certified HVAC/MVAC Technician

76Datsun280z

76Datsun280z

Car Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts
  • LocationWashington
That's exactly what my car gets when I only drive in stop and go traffic and I'm heavy on the thottle and accelerate hard. Highway is about 20 because it's nears 4000 rpm with the 4 speed. You can also do simple things like checking your tire pressure.

Bruce Palmer

Bruce Palmer

• Moderators
  • 1,560 posts
  • LocationSalem Or
Tim,
What is your mix of driving, town vs hwy? Are you running the oxygenated crap gasoline we are getting now? If so, that's costing you about 20% right there.
Bruce Palmer
Salem Or
Sales@ztherapy.com
www.ztherapy.com
503-587-9800

d240zx2

d240zx2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas
Gas mileage is relative to the weight of your right foot. The lighter the foot, the higher the numbers.

Around town, stop sign to stoplight, I get about 12. :(On the road, it's over 20, and that's with triple Mikuni's suckin' air @ 70+mph. :D

If your Z is your get-to-work car, you need to insure all systems are working and adjusted properly, of course. If your Z is a toy, as is mine, then mileage numbers are not necessarily irrelevant, but less important than otherwise would be the case.

Regards,

Frank
First & Third owner of HLS30-00721
B. 01/70 D. 03/12

New owner of HLS30-15653
B. 12/70 D.

Frank in Houston, Texas

Arne

Arne

Semi-retired admin

• Administrators
  • 8,466 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon, USA
Prior to the 10% ethanol change, I was getting 20-22 in town, and 30 on the highway. In-town seems to have dropped since the gas change, haven't done any road trips to check since then.
Arne - Former owner, HLS30-37705, 7/71, 905 Red
Car blogs - 240Z - Porsche 911

Zs-ondabrain

Zs-ondabrain

240Z Elec. Upgrade guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,004 posts
  • LocationMarysville, WA. U.S.A.
Just traveled on a 2400 mile round trip (MSA) Filled up 8 times and kept her around 2800-rpm (80-MPH average) and got about 26-MPG (about 365 miles per tank)

Now this obviously has to be estimated because I don't run the tank completely dry and have a pretty good idea of how many more miles I can get from the remainder of the tank, before filling her up again. And not knowing when the next decently priced gas station would be on the trip, and had to refill before she hit (E).

Around town, if I keep my foot off the firewall, which is harder than it sounds, I'd have to say about 20'ish.

Oh ya, Stock L24, Stock 73' E-88 head, triple 40DCOE Webers on a Cannon Long manifold, stage 2 cam, 6 into1 header, Mallory Unilite dist. and MSD 6A with Mallory ProMaster coil.

And local gas prices are at $3.60 a gallon
Rate my Z at Car Domain.com
My 70' 240Z, Daily Driver

My Parking Light and Headlight Upgrade Harness's at MotorSport Auto
HLH - PLH - SCP - ZXP's at MSA *They accept PayPal!!*
Headlight Upgrade Harness info here at ClassicZCar Club
HLH info at CZCC Do a search for info on the other upgrades I offer.

JonnyRock

JonnyRock

NW Native

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 717 posts
  • LocationVancouver, WA
The timing of this thread is great, as I have just done my first MPG test with my 240.

My exhaust smells very strongly of fuel, and I just replaced my leaking fuel pump so I figured it was about time. I've found that I get about 12-13 mpg. My driving is both city and highway split about 40/60 and I'd say my driving style is "spirited."

Until this thread, I thought that was pretty bad, but I guess it's okay. I do need to lean out the mixture I think.

BTW, gas up here is now $3.80/gallon regular.
***PREVIOUSLY OWNED***
1970 Datsun 240Z
HLS30-01704
71,000 Original Miles
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
- Jon

Sailor Bob

Sailor Bob

Mid-life Crisis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland, Canada
Definately porportional to the weight of your right foot, I am getting similar numbers (taking into account the gallon unit). I know I could do better, but due to the fact that it is a toy, I sometimes can't help hammering the s--t out of it and consequently have to accept the higher fuel consumption.
It is cheaper for me to drive my 5.4 (327 cu"?) litre F150 (18" wheels, HD rear end for towing) most of the time.
BTW fuel here is $1.35 a litre. Not much sympathy for 3.80 a gallon.
Cali 4/77
NA 9/72
FA 90 300TT
C220 Mercedes 96 (DD)

twsutt

twsutt

Amateur grease monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • LocationCypress, Texas, United States

BTW fuel here is $1.35 a litre.

3.785411 Litres per gallon(U.S)
1.00 USD = 1.02022 CAD

$1.35 CAD / litre * 3.785411 = $5.11 CAD / Gallon (U.S.)

$5.11 CAD = $5.00631 USD

$5.01 USD / Gallon = OUCH!!!
Terence W. Sutton
1975 DATSUN 280Z
2001 Volvo S60 (Wife's daily driver)
2002 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab Long Bed (My daily driver)

Posted Image

Z Club of Houston Member

geezer

geezer

Supporting Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,233 posts
  • LocationON
I filled up my truck on Tuesday at $1.19.3 CDN, today it is at $1.25.9 CDN. In Newfoundland gas prices are always at the upper end of the scale it seems. It's just part of the price you pay for living in that beautiful far corner of the planet.

Sailor Bob

Sailor Bob

Mid-life Crisis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland, Canada
You're makin me blush Ron.
Where are you located? (don't say Toronto - you have to narrow it down) - I have family in Hagarsville.
Cali 4/77
NA 9/72
FA 90 300TT
C220 Mercedes 96 (DD)

geezer

geezer

Supporting Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,233 posts
  • LocationON

You're makin me blush Ron.
Where are you located? (don't say Toronto - you have to narrow it down) - I have family in Hagarsville.

Windsor, where someone is always doing the math to decide if it's worthwhile to hop across the border to fill up in Detroit. I don't make a special trip, but if I'm going there anyways, I make it a point to fill up on the US side.
We need to hear from other parts of the world, to truly see the grim reality, of the cost of gasoline.

AndysPlit

AndysPlit

The alphabet begins w/ Z.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • LocationAltadena , CA
I range anywhere from 16 to 23 MPG.

Since my 280 is my daily for at least another couple months, most of my driving is in and out of traffic jams, freeways, and surface streets. I drive though all kinds of conditions.

My average for my recent roadtrip of the Southwest was around 21 MPG.

.....Now what's this about a fuel change?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1978 Datsun 280Z (owned since Aug 1997)
1986 Nissan 300ZX 2+2 (SOLD!)
1996 Nissan 300ZX 2+2 (daily driver)

JonnyRock

JonnyRock

NW Native

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 717 posts
  • LocationVancouver, WA

Windsor, where someone is always doing the math to decide if it's worthwhile to hop across the border to fill up in Detroit. I don't make a special trip, but if I'm going there anyways, I make it a point to fill up on the US side.

I live 20 minutes from the boarder and work retail, so all day long I hear about how much cheaper gas and everything else is here.

But as a college student (and simply as an American and traditionally paying lower prices) this gas situation is putting a squeeze on things.
***PREVIOUSLY OWNED***
1970 Datsun 240Z
HLS30-01704
71,000 Original Miles
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
- Jon

ktm

ktm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts
  • LocationIrvine, California
I now average around 30 mpg highway, 20s in the city if I keep my foot out of the firewall. I am running an L28ET, T03/04E turbo, Supra 440cc injectors, 20 psi, etc., etc., and a nice aftermarket engine management system. I run 40 degrees of timing at cruise with an AFR of 15:1 and overrun fuel cut (injectors stop fueling on throttle lift).
-Bo

1972 240z - Not original and still not done.
"Something wicked this way comes...."

Ttiger

Ttiger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • LocationHollister, CA
My old tired '73 240 with all the smog stuff AND an auto trans got 22 coming back from MSA. I was impressed.
The boys have theirs, I got one too. 71 & 73 240Z, 1985 300ZXT
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

zhead240

zhead240

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,110 posts
  • Locationontario canada
i got 26mpg hiway.(4.5 litre gallon) the #s i see here are like hummer mileage.( 12,13mpg) for a vehicle that wieghs only 2400lbs you'd expect over 30mpg. my brother-in-law has a 95 eldorado and he claims 28mpg hiway. don't make sense.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]to be or not to be- shakespeare
do be do be do- sinatra
vehicles owned
72 240z
2009 honda civic exl
1973 triumph tr6 :)
wife's
2002 vw jetta
68 390 mustang coup

sblake01

sblake01

Former frequent poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,580 posts
  • LocationSan Bernardino, Ca. U.S.A.
I don't know about over 30 but 12-13 tells me something is wrong.
2004 Ford Ranger EDGE Supercab
(@Moonpup: This one really is an EDGE!)
2005 Pontaic GTO
2010 Mercedes Benz C300 AMG Sportline (Wife's car)
2014 Kia Rio LX (Wife's daily driver)
Certified HVAC/MVAC Technician

Darbji280z

Darbji280z

Addicted to Z

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Indiana
For the most part, I baby my car. But only because I've been in too many accidents and have been injured. There is, however, times when I drive the car like it wants to be driven and she still gets about 22-25. It's kind of funny how my toy gets better gas milage than my recent daily driver (my supercharged Bonneville that I just sold). When I do a lot of highway driving, my milage gets a little worse (but not much.) That's because Kharma can't seem to stay under ninety and she's got the 4 speed.
Nothing compares to the beauty of the world as seen through the windshield of my Z

Currently own:

HLS30279316: 1976 Datsun 280z Kharma
2001 Dodge Neon: Nitro

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users