IGNORED

New 240Z Owner

westpak

I have been around for a while mainly trying to drum up classic Z's for my Z club meets, man you guys are tough to get out so I figured I had to get one in order to have one at the meets.

I have been an S30 lover for decades and always wanted one, I had satisfied my thirst for Z's with a heavily modified 350Z and a slighlty modified 300Zx (Z32) and but was finally able to get my hands on a 1971 240Z. Many thanks to Carl Beck for putting up with me constant noob questions, I am sure this will not stop as I go about restoring her and will be on this board asking away.

Here are some pics picking her up

tn_HLS3022555day1a.JPG tn_HLS3022555day1b.JPG tn_HLS3022555day1c.JPG tn_HLS3022555day1d.JPG

Here are some pics of my other babies

gussiga.jpg

gussigb.jpg

Actually, now that you mention it, that does look like Carl in the last photo of the car :classic:

Hi Doug:

Yes - that's me - I guess I'll have to be more careful of how I dress when going to pick up these old Z's.

Hi Ron:

Yes - I pointed everyone here toward the car after I offered it to Gus... he wasn't ready at that time... and lucky for him it was still there this month. He made the seller a cash offer over the phone and she accepted it... Good thing for him he wasn't dealing with her in person... she worked for the magazine "Makes and Models" if you get the picture ;-)

I offered to meet him at the car to help load things up - thinking the seller would be there - but she had her Father meet us..... bummer.... It was good to see Gus again, but gee... :-)

In the end, Gus just picked up the best candidate 240-Z for restoration that I have seen in the past five years. Original Owner, all stock and original 32K miles..... I'm really happy for Gus and we'll have to keep bugging him for status reports... I'll let him tell everyone the details about the car....

FWIW,

Carl

Thanks guys, and I can't say enough thanks to Carl, one of the nicest guys I have ever met, wish I could have spent more time, by the way that burger was as good as they claimed.

I am located in the Palm Beach area in South Florida, so I just had to cross the state to go pick her up.

The interior is amazing, I see mainly spending the money on the paint job and a lof of elbow grease on restoring the stock parts. And I got so much paperwork with it, there was the original bill of sale, window sticker, warranty book and warranty card and tons of brochures and magazine articles of the era.

Oh I will be keeping the D caps :) this will be a stock restoration it would be a shame to do anything else with her.

First thing will be to get here running following Carl's advice on how to reawaken her, then drive it for a few months and maybe wait for cooler months next winter to tear into her

I am just glad it only weighs 2400 lbs since we had to push it up and then off the trailer

I had to pinch myself this morning when I went out in the garage and saw what was there, man I have to do some spring cleaning to get some more room

tn_HLS3022555dream.JPG

tn_HLS3022555int1.JPG tn_HLS3022555int2.JPG tn_HLS3022555int3.JPG

tn_HLS3022555int4.JPG tn_HLS3022555int5.JPG tn_HLS3022555int6.JPG

First thing will be to get here running following Carl's advice on how to reawaken her, then drive it for a few months and maybe wait for cooler months next winter to tear into her

First of all, congratulations on one of the finest S30 finds I've seen in some time. This car is perfect. You're a lucky guy....

Second, do you think you could let me in on some of Carl's advise to reawaken a car that's been dormant for a long period of time? I am just getting my car (72 240, 98k) out of many many years of garaged mothballs and I would be very interested in Carl's advise for getting her going again....

Again, congrats and thanks. Happy motoring....

Thanks I am very happy, I still can't believe it is the garage, here is Carl's advice:

Awakening a Sleeping Beauty:

· the first thing is to drop the fuel tank and have it cleaned out, back flush the fuel lines, replace all rubber hoses and clean the carb.'s up. Left to sit for this long, the old gas turns to varnish and you don't want to suck that crap into the fuel lines and carb.'s.

· clean the carb's up

· flush the brake master and lines

· change the rubber fuel lines in the engine

· before starting the engine:

1. pour some ATF into the cylinders and let it soak past the rings for a day, then do it again

2. pull the valve cover and pour a bit of oil on the cam/rockers

3. rock then engine back/forth by hand to make sure the rings are free and the cylinder wall have some lube on them

4. change the oil

5. Spark Plugs

· put a battery in the car

· Change coolant

· change the oil in the tranny/rear end

· run the car a few hundred miles - dump the oil/filter, and check the tranny/rearend