IGNORED

Loop pile carpet, any recent purchases? (2008)

Arne

I'm getting ready to replace the carpet in my red 240Z. I want to stay with the original style loop pile carpet, rather than the more modern cut pile. So far, I've found at least three suppliers for the loop pile, MSA, Too Intense and Datsun Spirit. Has anyone bought any loop carpet from any of these vendors recently? If so, what was the quality of the carpet kit? Did it come with replacement jute?

I just purchased the black carpet kit from Classic Datsun Motorsports. It's OEM spec.

I just purchased the black carpet kit from Classic Datsun Motorsports. It's OEM spec.

Hmm. When I bought a set 10 or so months ago it was cut pile, which is definitely not OEM. Have they begun selling loop pile now?

BTW, I contacted DatsunSpirit via email about their carpet set ($230). They state they use a different supplier than VB/MSA/TIR. No cutouts for luggage straps, and comes with a jute underpadding (which I presume to be similar to all the other underpadding and not a horsehair-type jute.) The pattern is not correct (based on the pics), so I'm not sure I'd spend the extra $$$ for it.

FWIW

The carpets in the kit I bought from CDM were not the loop that came in the 70. Do not have the snaps at the firewall and are missing the slots under the seats that keep these from sliding back and forth as you drive.

There is a Z clip under the front edge of the seat that gets broken or is not replaced with the floor pans. I replaced them in this car.

Note: I knew all of these things before I bought the carpet and I am happy with what I was shipped. I am happy with the look but, It is not OEM. I will use velcro on the bottom of the carpet to keep it in place.

Well, the carpet in my car is still original. Very faded and worn, but original. So when Danny mentioned above about the thinness of the TIR carpet I had to laugh. Because trust me, the original was not what I would call high quality in any way. I would also describe the original as, um, ok...I guess.

I will admit that I'm not thrilled about the idea of the backing being glued on. I may have to try the kit from Datsun Spirit just to see what the differences are.

Hey Arne,

Can you post some pics of the front and back of your original carpet? I have a couple of different pieces that I am not sure if they are original or not. If they are not original, they seem to at least be a higher quality than what is available now.

-Mike

It is unbelievable that this is so difficult to get right.

All of these "restoration" suppliers should easily be able to demand proper pattern and type replacement carpet/floor mat sets from their suppliers.

There's nothing magical about loop carpet or getting the placement of cutouts right, or getting a proper surging of the edges.

It's not like we are tring to get these for extreme cheap----$235 for replacement isn't a wallet killer, but it isn't chickenfeed either.

What the hell is going on here?!?

Not that I am doing one, but how are people getting concours restorations done that meet the mark??

Has anyone talked to Mike McGinness at Banzai?

What has Charlie at Zeddfindings had to say? He's a judge for cris-ake!

Judging from the quality of the reproduction work that Bryan (LBO730) did on the shift boots and handbrake covers I 'd be up for asking him to do the work for me. I've got original carpets that are good enough as patterns with all the proper cutouts, etc. and he has demonstrated his ability!

Surely this carpet wouldn't be a limitation for a leatherworker/upholsterer that knows his stuff!!

Should this become a "group buy"??

Why don't we have these anyway????

Knowledgeable people use this site daily as reference for their "works in progress", yet we never have shown the organization and purchasing power shown on TT.net or HybridZ.com

My devalued 1/2 centavo/penny/rupee---

Jim D.

"Zup" :mad: :bunny:

Jim,

I'd participate in a group buy. Maybe there's a good upholstery shop near you where you can take the carpet pattern for replication...There's a shop here, but I don't have a reasonable carpet set to take with me.

Let me know if i can help.

All of these "restoration" suppliers should easily be able to demand proper pattern and type replacement carpet/floor mat sets from their suppliers.

There's nothing magical about loop carpet or getting the placement of cutouts right, or getting a proper surging of the edges.

It's not like we are tring to get these for extreme cheap----$235 for replacement isn't a wallet killer, but it isn't chickenfeed either.

What the hell is going on here?!?

Not that I am doing one, but how are people getting concours restorations done that meet the mark??

Judging from the quality of the reproduction work that Bryan (LBO730) did on the shift boots and handbrake covers I 'd be up for asking him to do the work for me. I've got original carpets that are good enough as patterns with all the proper cutouts, etc. and he has demonstrated his ability!

Surely this carpet wouldn't be a limitation for a leatherworker/upholsterer that knows his stuff!!

Why don't we have these anyway????

Knowledgeable people use this site daily as reference for their "works in progress", yet we never have shown the organization and purchasing power shown on TT.net or HybridZ.com

My devalued 1/2 centavo/penny/rupee---

Jim D.

"Zup" :mad: :bunny:

This is what I was thinking too....I don't get it. Why can we not have exact knock-offs of the original style carpet for a 240? Are we asking for too much? Besides how can someone have a 100 pt car if you can't get the right carpet? All I want is a carpet kit with rear deck carpet that has the slots for the tool kits and carpets that do not have the jutting attached and have the snaps and hold done holes sewn open.

Hey Arne,

Can you post some pics of the front and back of your original carpet? I have a couple of different pieces that I am not sure if they are original or not. If they are not original, they seem to at least be a higher quality than what is available now.

I'll try to remember to do in a few days. Remind me if I forget, Mike. But also remember that my red car is a late Series 2, and so mine won't look like the carpet on #237.

Very true. You'd think that one of these shops would demand the right stuff. But we apparently haven't seen it yet.
Good question. I'm not particularly after concours, but I DO want as close as I can get to original.
Yup. He recommended I talk to Datsun SPirit, IIRC.

I'm game...
Haven't tried Charlie.

Good question. I'm not particularly after concours, but I DO want as close as I can get to original.

Yup. He recommended I talk to Datsun SPirit, IIRC.

Speaking of Datsun Spirit, we got a kit coming in today from Datsun Spirit for a 1978. I will review the quality of it for you tonight or tomorrow. I really like dealing with Eiji, his communication was fantastic. Datsun Spirit was the only company offering the 9 piece replacement kit for the 78.

I have an email in to Zedd Findings, so I'll post back when I hear something.

Here's the reply I got from Datsun Spirit:

"Steve

You would cut out the strap cutouts. There will be snaps to be attach to the floor mats. Carpets come with under jute paddings.

We go through our own manufacturer.

Datsun Spirit, Inc

----- Original Message -----

Dear Sir,

I am writing to ask about your five-piece sectional 240Z carpet set. Is it a more accurate replication with cutouts for luggage straps? does it have the snaps on the front seat sections? Is it from the same supplier that MSA and Too Intense Restorations get their carpet set? What is the type and appearance of the underpadding?

Thanks,

Steve"

For the people who have already purchased carpets has anyone tried to make the cut outs for the rear carpet cargo straps ? I definetly like to get some measurements to I could get the cuts out done so I could put the cargo straps where they belong