IGNORED

Loop pile carpet, any recent purchases? (2008)

Arne

Actually, my existing jute is in quite nice shape, and could easily be re-used. So the type and quality of the padding is a secondary concern. I'm more concerned with the fit, quality of the carpet itself and the bound edges, and whether the strap slots are pre-cut and bound (or not bound).

So far, the MSA kit looks acceptable. Yes, the padding is sub-optimal, and fit at the back of the cargo area is not as OE, but probably will work.

The kit that Dave got from 1A-Auto sounds OK as well, probably similar to the MSA kit. Definitely less money than any of the others, although price isn't really an issue since all are within $50 or so of each other. I'd love to see some pictures of this one.

I'm very interested to see what the kit from Too Intense looks like. The (admittedly very small) picture on their site appears to show a more involved shape to the cargo area carpet.

The Datsun Spirit kit seems to be an unknown, so far. They do have a nice, large picture, but the cut doesn't seem to be as detailed as the Too Intense pictures.

Arne, I bought a set of loop carpet from Too Intense last summer. It looks and sounds to be the same as the MSA kit (bound edges, no cut outs for attachment points or cargo straps, same crappy threaded backing). This appears to the be same kit most places sell. So is the Classicdatsun pile carpet better quality? He also lists a wool carpet, but no prices listed for that.

-Mike

I've been doing a little reading of jute material, and some vendors offer what's called a "MASS BACK" option, a black, rubberized backing that is thicker and a little more sound proofing than the original jute material.

http://www.1aauto.com/help_center/faq/carpet.html#q10

The FAQ implies that the Mass Back option is only available on cut pile carpets, not loop pile. Worth looking into, but might not be an option for those of us who want loop pile carpet.

So is the Classicdatsun pile carpet better quality?
I can't say from personal experience. But Jim (a7dz) bought a kit from Les last Fall, and after working with Les a bit to get a better fit, he said he was very pleased with the carpet and fit. I'll send him an e-mail, maybe he'll chime in on this thread.

How did he work with him to get a better fit? Was it custom made, or did Jim send it back and he trimmed it up and rebound it?

-Mike

The first set Jim got did not cover the entire floor area, IIRC the front pieces were too narrow. I'm not sure if this was because of an error in manufacturing, or perhaps a side effect of the floor pan replacement in Jim's car. Jim returned the first set and included templates he made for the floor of his car, and Les sent him a replacement set in very short order cut to spec.

The first set Jim got did not cover the entire floor area, IIRC the front pieces were too narrow. I'm not sure if this was because of an error in manufacturing, or perhaps a side effect of the floor pan replacement in Jim's car. Jim returned the first set and included templates he made for the floor of his car, and Les sent him a replacement set in very short order cut to spec.

The carpet was miss cut. The floor pans were the correct size. Yes, I was pleased with both the fit and the service provided.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, let's talk about the metal clips. Now that I see them in Bonzi's picture, it looks like they have one curved leg that would press up against the tab on the floor. A neat idea. Now I want some too, so if anyone has a source for these, or has a set of 4 they'd like to sell, I'm interested.

Arne: I have a set of four if you want them, PM me. They are in about the same condition as the ones that Bonzi Lon has.

Dan

I got my loop carpet kit from TIR about a week ago. It's um, ok...I guess. It's a little thin & the backing is glued on. I don't fault the seller, & it wasn't overly expensive. It just sounds like there's limited options when it comes to purchasing reproduction carpet for S30s. I'm guessing that maybe there's only one manufacturer of this repro carpet, with only a few more resellers.