IGNORED

How much did you spend for your Z?

Zvoiture

How much did you spend for your Z originally? (USD)  

270 members have voted

1. 1. How much did you spend for your Z originally? (USD)

• Free
    • $1 - 300
    • $301 - 650
    • $651 - 1000
    • $1001 - 1400
    • $1401 - 1750
    • $1751 - 2200
    • $2201 - 2700
    • $2700 - 3500
    • $3501 - 4500
    • $4501 - 6000
    • $6001 - 9000
    • $9001 - 12,000
    • More Than $12,000

The 'ex' Zoom 'Project Zed Philes' car certainly has the goods when it comes to the mechanicals. You couldn't build it for $18k, but you can insure it for more than $15k. My '73 (see avatar) has no engine/gearbox/interior & is currently insured with Shannons for $15k on a 'laid-up' policy. I have discussed the final agreed value with them & it will be around $30k when it's finished (including salvage rights).

I was a little dissapointed in the bodywork on the project car though - its was a respray job (not a restoration), the rails/floor look pretty average (as does the engine bay). You can also bet your $18k that it has been used to it's fullest potential by the Zoom team. Afterall the build $$$ came from more than one individuals wallet. And you saw how the project Excel (Accent) went up in smoke after 15psi of supercharger was applied...

Another thing is that everyone who has read the mag would know the car - and all it's details. It _could_ be a theft target, but hey, you're in Sydney & everyone steals WRX's there LOL.

I'm not suggesting a 'steer-clear', but I'd want a close look at the car to make sure that it is worth the sum of it's parts. You can get a Z32TT for the same $$$, but you would probably have to spend a few grand to get it up to scratch.

If you do buy it, I ain't challenging you to a traffic-light drag until my L31TT is finished...

Hey Mr Camouflage,

some valid points, the JZA70 was never actually sold in Australia, the aussie version only had the single Turbo engine, the Twin Turbo being an import, so insurance (as I've looked into) is too close between the two to be an issue.

...but regardless, I don't wan to rush in.

Thanks.

Yeah is an import. WA's been importing jap cars since the mid 80's when a loophole in the law was dicovered (aparrenly or something) and car dealers imported huge amounts of RX7's toyotas, nissans and hondas.

My mum has a toyota corona coupe (80 something) the interior looks exactly the same as the MA61 supra and celica. I remember going to the car yard when she was looking at it. I was trying to pursuade her to buy the manual R30 Skyline coupe that was there, but she wanted an auto, Do'H.

I think my mate is paying around $700 a year to insure his JZA70, but I could be wrong, I'll check with him and see. the JZA70 and the MA70 share a lot of parts, and the parts you cant get here you can still get from japan.

Were going out to a motor sport day this sunday to see how the TT supra performes with its new 3 inch exhast. Gonna get some video. Where was a "Phatt" (that was the lic plate) black 300zx TT there last time, what a car. If its anything like that last MC day I went to it should be interesting. LOL

Mr C

Currently I own a '71 240, however this is my third Z.

early '71 240 - paid $1400 (1990)

early '74 260 - paid $2000 (1993)

late '71 240 - paid $3000 (2002)

The first 240 ran fine and looked okay, but turned out ot be a rust bucket. The drivers side frame rail finally gave way and the engine more or less fell out onto the street.

The 260 looked very good and ran great. It was not as fun as the 240, but it was more dependable. Unfrotunately someone decided to steal it from the streets of NYC and I never saw it again.

I recently bought a rust-free '71 from the original owner. My budget was up to $6000, but I didn't find anything that I thought was worth that. Finally I came across this car which needed mechanical work, but otherwise had the body that I wanted. Although the car came in under budget, after spending money on carbs, tires, brakes, suspension bushings, etc., I'm going to exceed the original budget by about $1000.

It's just not fair. America gets all the good deals LOL. I paid $7000 Australian after bartering him down from $10,000 Australian. Its currently getting resprayed and restored at a cost of $6000, that's $13000 without any interior or mods yet. Hey Doco, who is Shannon's I'm looking for someone to insure the 240 because the RACV will only insure it for a maximum of $4300. Thanks........

$5,000 Aussie pesos for mine.. 71 240z in reasonable nick but has chev 350 with auto tranny and alfa GTV leather seats. Body is very straight and pretty much rust free. Its hard to find a good one here now so I jumped at this one. see my photo gallery

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I gave $66.66 for my 240. Actually, I bought 3 of them for 200 dollars. There was a 280, a 260, and the 240 (the 260 and 280 were parts cars for the 240). So if you do the math, it comes to 66.66 per car. My ex-husband's son-in-law called one day and told us that a friend of his had this Z project that he was desperate to get rid of (his wife was hassling him about them littering up the yard). We went over and looked at them and I said "WE'LL TAKE THEM!!" Had to tow the 260 and 280 home and I drove the 240 home. :love: Now, the money and labor is a whole other story. When I left my ex, I left the other cars as I had no way to transport them.

P. S. Don't feel sorry for the no-good !@#&!@#! ex! I put all the money and 50% of the work (what was done when we were together) into the car. And he had and still has as far as I know his pristine, immaculate 911 porsche along with his daily driver toyota truck and wrecker!!

• 7 years later...