IGNORED

How much did you spend for your Z?

Zvoiture

How much did you spend for your Z originally? (USD)  

270 members have voted

1. 1. How much did you spend for your Z originally? (USD)

• Free
    • $1 - 300
    • $301 - 650
    • $651 - 1000
    • $1001 - 1400
    • $1401 - 1750
    • $1751 - 2200
    • $2201 - 2700
    • $2700 - 3500
    • $3501 - 4500
    • $4501 - 6000
    • $6001 - 9000
    • $9001 - 12,000
    • More Than $12,000

I think I paided more than I should have but there aren't many around here for sale either. I'm in the $4500+ range. I didn't need to do anything to my car but have chosen to make upgrades that suit my desires, all suspension related. With no rust, less than 75K original I felt it was worth the money. The one thing that sort of needs to be done is a new paint job. I fall into the category of 'refreshing' my Z rather than 'restoring'.

BTW, when I bought my Z last year another one that I shopped is still available. I could have gotten in for lesswith that car but the car had a lot more rust, no engine mod's as mine does, and a crappy paint job, midnight blue over olive or gold that was visible in all of the door jambs and engine compartment. Yuck!!! I still see it in the locate autotrader every week. Tells you something!

In 1993, i bought my 73 for $999, still a work in progress. Just over a year ago i bought my 74 for $4500 (ouch). I was about to have the body/paint done on my 73, but a z club member fell ill & needed cash quick.. the car is done, he had just spent 5200 on paint & bodywork:classic:

So now i save up for the 73 to get some work again:cry:

I paid $900 for a '71 and a '73 at the same time, so I basically paid $450 for each one.

But if you ask me how much I have spent on my car, that's a whole other story. And please don't ask me to add up my "labor" for the last 9 years! :stupid:

I paid $300 for the Car. Now let’s talk about getting it home. $100 for the Trailer, Gas to and from $100, Extra chains and U bolts to secure Z to the trailer $20. Picking car up from good friend and spending night out on the town with he and his wife $200. Drive home with the Z and the hangover Priceless.

I paid $300 for the Car. Now let’s talk about getting it home. $100 for the Trailer, Gas to and from $100, Extra chains and U bolts to secure Z to the trailer $20. Picking car up from good friend and spending night out on the town with he and his wife $200. Drive home with the Z and the hangover Priceless.

ROFLLOL Love that story, thats what getting a good car is all about, its not a purchase, its an ordeal!

Hmmm,

Seems most early Zed buyers a generally looking for a cheap fixer upper, I'd appreciate your thoughts on the following...

In the next week or so, when the owner returns from Japan, I'll be going to look at this fully restored, steroid fed 240 with a twin turbo Supra motor, I've pasted the owners comments at the bottom. (you may have seen this in the engine mods thread)

I think the car would be great to own, but at $18,000 australian its about $5,000 more than I was planning on spending (though the owner would have sunk much much more into the car) Obviously, this price is more than half the price of a used 2001 200sx or S15 silvia if you prefer (not a Zed, but a great car)

Do any of you think this price is excessive for a 71 240? or worth the money? no doubt the modifications have hurt the cars value as an original Zed, but I'm looking for that kind of performance in whatever I end up buying...

Cheers,

Doco.

---Owners comments on car---

..."I bought the car three years ago already restored for $12,000. The engine

and gearbox had problems, however, so I decided to do an engine conversion.

This and my other modifications have appeared in Zoom magazine as the car

became a project for that mag.

I had the 1JZ-GTE twin turbo engine fitted by Rocco's Performance. It has

polished pipework, a large front-mount intercooler, Haltech E6K computer and

3-inch mandrel-bent exhaust system. It makes around 200kW at the wheels with

13.5psi boost and has run a 12.5 second pass on street tyres.

The entire driveline has been replaced too. It has a button clutch, Supra

5-speed, custom tailshaft, 3.9:1 LSD (R200) and custom-made driveshafts with

DR30 CV joints (these cost $1800). The brakes were another part of the

project, now 330mm vented front and 310mm solid rear discs, with HSV

2-piston calipers on the front.

The wheels are 17x7.5 and 17x8 Evolution Stich three-piece alloys, with the

guards lipped to fit the rear tyres (235/40ZR17). The suspension is

Whiteline springs, KYB shocks, Lovells swaybars etc, with modified rear arms

to allow toe adjustment. Despite all this the body is completely standard,

in metallic red. The interior has a fresh dashboard and trim, standard seats

retrimmed in leather and velour, custom console, custom stereo installation

and so on. It is virtually a show car, but set up to be driven daily if

needed. It also has 12 months rego, all receipts for my work and full

engineering certification. The number plate is DAT240. They don't get much

better than this..."

post-2608-14150792146875_thumb.jpg

Damn, if only I had $18,000.

Doco, from the various 240's in oz that I've seen for sale, 18k is probably about what you'd expect to have to pay. Depends whether you want to pay big $$$ for a classic or big $$$ for something that resembles a 240 from the outside!

About the most expensive I've seen was something similar to your posted specs for just under $22k. Sounds like a great car, depends if you care to part with that amount of money for it! :)

Thats my AU $0.02 , or USD $0.00003 x 10^-3 if you will.

18 Grand!

My mates JZA70 1JZ- GTE supra (Twin Turbo supra - the same model car that the engine came from) only cost him $13000 and its in only got 97 000kms on the clock when he bought it at the beginning of this year.

Basically what your paying for in this 240z is machineshop and labour costs. Most buyers that pay over 10 grand (AUD) want a car in 100% original condition (some people mistakenly believe that a car can be an investment).

I love 240z's but for 18 grand? I could almost get a twin turbo 300zx for that. Why not just buy a 1JZ, sure they are a bit heavy, but at least you'd get the 1JZ twin turbo engine, plus you'd get climate controll air conditioning, powersteering, electric windows, mirrors, sunroof, digital dash, leather seats, lsd, etc etc. parts available from the factory, lower insurance costs and a chassis that was designed to handle the amount of power the engine puts out.

Getting back to what this tread is supposed to be about.

My 240z cost (AUD)$2500 when I bought it in 1987. and I sold it for $3800 i think.

Hey Mr Camouflage,

some valid points, the JZA70 was never actually sold in Australia, the aussie version only had the single Turbo engine, the Twin Turbo being an import, so insurance (as I've looked into) is too close between the two to be an issue.

...but regardless, I don't wan to rush in.

Thanks.