IGNORED

Honda Wiper Motor Upgrade for the 240Z

I have the slow wiper problem in my 73 and my 1st solution was to change it out for one from an older parts car. Did that and found that it is different, no relay attached and the wiring colors are different on the harness and it runs at 1 speed as soon as the ignition is turned on. Doesn't matter where the wiper switch is set. Looking for help on that problem I found the Honda motor solution and wired it up to the relay using the diagram that Dave posted. All that happens is that the fuse blows. Any suggestions??

Graham

I suppose all you need is to take with you a cardboard pattern of the bolt holes, and check the diameter of the axle bolt to see if whatever motor you look at wil work,no?

The Honda wiper motors don't have the same bolt holes as the Datsun one. You have to drill into your mounting plate so you can mount the Honda motor to it. Once you do, and if you got the Accord one and ground down the shaft, then it is a matter of wiring it up according to Dave's wiring diagram and it works just fine. If you got the correct Civic one it should fit without grinding, but you still have to drill the three mounting holes in the plate.

Looking for help on that problem I found the Honda motor solution and wired it up to the relay using the diagram that Dave posted. All that happens is that the fuse blows. Any suggestions??

Graham

The only thing that I can think of is that something must be wired wrong or something is wrong with your switch.

Greg

• 2 weeks later...

Firstly, my thanks to Dave for cracking this nut.

Just pulled this motor from a 1995 UK spec Civic. Everything is the same except the mounting lugs, which are handed to the earlier cars. The advantage is that there is no danger of the new mounting holes "ripping" into the original holes which has to be a plus. Can't see the US cars being any different.

post-8541-14150803649583_thumb.jpg

I have pulled a 91 civic motor, and am ready to do the conversion. My question comes to the relay. I saw the diagram that shows the wires from 240 and wires from honda and how they hook together. What I seem to be missing is where does the relay get hooked up to? The diagram doesn't show the relay wiring...did I miss something? well obviously I did:)

Read the beginning of the thread to the end and you'll find it, but here, I've posted it again.

70' Datsun 240Z __________________ 91' Honda civic wiper motor

blue/white-------pin 85 ________ Pin 87A-------blue/white

blue-------------pin 87 ________ pin 30--------blue

Blue/red-----------pin 85-------pin 85----------green/black

Black----------------------to------------------black

Blue/yellow----------------to-------------------blue/yellow

There were some diagrams that he posted on post #22 for Hella relays, and some other types, and these showed the connections. From the harness in the car, it goes into the relay, and then from there into the new harness for the Honda motor. There are a couple terminals as showen above that don't go to the relay and go straight through also.

When I did it, it helped to draw up exactly what I needed to do on a piece of paper showing the wires going from one point to another. My setup is slightly different because I'm incorporating a delay wiring circuit that I still need to build, but overall this conversion is pretty easy and works well.

Greg

Firstly, my thanks to Dave for cracking this nut.

Just pulled this motor from a 1995 UK spec Civic. Everything is the same except the mounting lugs, which are handed to the earlier cars. The advantage is that there is no danger of the new mounting holes "ripping" into the original holes which has to be a plus. Can't see the US cars being any different.

Just in case I did'nt make myself clear about the handing of the lugs, this is the 95 motor fitted.

post-8541-14150803651852_thumb.jpg

I picked up a wiper moter yesterday fro salvage yard and it doesn't look like the one in your picures. The one they said was from a 91 Honda Civic has four mounting places or legs. The correct wiper motor has three mounting places legs?

I picked up a wiper moter yesterday fro salvage yard and it doesn't look like the one in your picures. The one they said was from a 91 Honda Civic has four mounting places or legs. The correct wiper motor has three mounting places legs?

Does the one you got yesterday look like the picture in my post # 28? If so, that is the incorrect one as I noted.

The correct one has 3 lugs and is either from the '91 Civic or thereabouts or from a similar era Accord. The correct Civic one will mount up to the Z wiper arm without grinding the shaft, and the Accord one needs the shaft to be ground, but is a stronger motor. The "spider" style one with 4 lugs is the incorrect motor and will not work, even though it may be on some 1991 Civics.

You should try to go to a yard where you can pull the part yourself as if you ask someone for a motor from a 1991 Civic it may be incorrect. If you can't find a yard like that, then try to take that one back and ask for one from a 1991 Accord. It should have the 3 lugs and you'll have to hook it up to the relay and wiring harness and make sure it is in the park position, and then grind the shaft down to fit in the Z.

Greg

• 1 month later...

Ok, I think Im on to something.

The diagram on post #1 says to hook the blue/white line from the car to 85. When I look at the attached wiring diagram it says the blue/white goes to 86.

Im assuming the attached version is correct, otherwise there would be 3 lines going to 85, and none to 86.

• Mike featured this topic