IGNORED

Changed out front strut brace...

240ZX

Just wanted to let people know my experience converting from a single bar front strut brace to the unit offered by MSA (triangulated brace). Install was pretty simple....as far as aftermarket parts go anyway! I did have to do a little modification to the mounting tabs that attach to the lip on the firewall. They were a tad on the long side and had to shorten them approximately 1/4", as well as, flatten the rearward most part of the tube the tabs are attached to. A few taps with a hand held adjuster reduced the slight curve to a straight section.....fits perfectly now and the small taps with the hand held are not visible. I couldn't hardly beleive that after the slight adjustment, the darn powder coat didn't even chip! OK, you ask....nows the thing work? I was pleasantly surprised at the improvement over the single bar unit. The front end of the Z felt more planted and turn-in is more precise. After experiencing the difference between the two style braces, it's amazing how much less the front of the Z flexes with the trianglated brace (go figure). I'm a happy camper, as the $$$ spent was well worth the results!!!

Tom

P.S. The polished aluminum NISMO single bar brace is for sale ($100.00 or best offer)

It's probably the one in his avatar, gnosez.......

The one in the avatar is the one he replaced. The new one goes from strut to strut and then from each strut back to the hood latch area. Note how Tom mentioned "firewall" in his post.

Chris

The one in the avatar is the one he replaced. The new one goes from strut to strut and then from each strut back to the hood latch area. Note how Tom mentioned "firewall" in his post.

I assumed that he was asking about the one that was for sale.

$100 seems like a pretty good deal for that piece, anyway......

The one in my avatar is the one I replaced. Looks very nice and was an improvement over having no strut brace at all. The new unit, see MSA cataloge for pic, is in my opinion....just a more efficient design. The down side of the triangulated strut brace is that, in order to remove the cam cover you have to remove the brace....oh well! Anyway, the strut brace you see in my avatar is for sale, make me an offer! IIRC, the unit for sale sold new for $250.00....I have the reciept at home.

Tom

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

WOW, your picture looks much different than the photo of the product on Motorsport's website. I like your write-up, especially since I have been considering it to purchase. I have to wait for my engine to be in the car to see if the custom intake will not be in the way.

One question: Did you tap and thread the bolts into the firewall, or just use nuts?

• 7 months later...