IGNORED

A good screw just isn't enough-it must oscillate!

hls30.com

I have been going over my rally clock to figure out why so many have said the oscillator is not a reproduceable thing. Because it cannot be a magic box made and used by a magician, I cannot believe it cannot be reproduced.

To that end, I think I have come up with what it does...

It looks to be a three phase converter for DC. I have not verified this, but with three power leads (Redblue, Redyellow, and Redwhite) coming out and conecting directly to the only motor in the clock and only a B+ and B- going in. The clock case also has a ground.

I will keep on it and ohm-out the motor tonight.

Will

Earlier today I tripped over a gallery by "monzter" which has a series of photos of the rally clock and an oscillator, which both look original/new.

I did a search for "monzter" to check it/her/him out and find our where the Oscillator came from. No Luck. Can anyone find monzter and the source of new oscillators?

Regard, Jack

I contacted Jeff(Montzer) and the pictures were a result of that contact, and his willingness to remove the clock and oscillator(which he obtained as NOS and had already installed) to take the pictures. I asked for pics of the packing to see if there was a manufacturers mark(there is a Citizen(I think) logo on the rotating dial(partially hidden from view by the hands of the clock), or any special instructions from the manufacturer that I could try to research for repair info.

I hope not to have to sacrifice an oscillator to figure this out...but a pattern is a pattern...does anyone have an oscillator that does not work? Better to sacrifice and replace a dead unit than kill one a working one...

Jeff has some serious '72 unobtainium, and he is a in a Z challenged locale!

I have found some part I considered very rare, and he has some NOS I haven't even been able to find used in excellent shape. I certianly appreciated his efforts in removing and photographing his hardware for all of us!

Will

Hullo Will

Could you please provide us with a link to Jeff's (Monzter) site so we can access the photos? As I said I stumled onto them and couldn't find them again!

It sounds as though Jeff has an interesting story. I am also located in a "Z challenged locale"! It sure is a challenge to obtain parts etc. I have noticed that prices have been increasing rapidly since I started to look also.

Of course the other issue is the diminishing availability. I have a growing list of things I need - Oscillator (+ Clock???), Antenna Mast etc

It is all very interesting and keeps one motivated.

Regards, Jack

Hullo Will

Could you please provide us with a link to Jeff's (Monzter) site so we can access the photos? As I said I stumled onto them and couldn't find them again!

It sounds as though Jeff has an interesting story. I am also located in a "Z challenged locale"! It sure is a challenge to obtain parts etc. I have noticed that prices have been increasing rapidly since I started to look also.

Of course the other issue is the diminishing availability. I have a growing list of things I need - Oscillator (+ Clock???), Antenna Mast etc

It is all very interesting and keeps one motivated.

Regards, Jack

Jack,

Jeff posted his pics to his gallery here for all to see-check the front page!

As far as an antenna mast, I bought two a couple of years ago, and unless you find one before I find them, one will be for you.

Will

That's a great collection of pictures from Jeff. Can I have the box? I'll give a hunnerdollars for the box! I recall someone asked about mounting location. Check out Kats' 432 pictures on his web site. That's our baby on the firewall next to the "emergency signal lamp". To Hell with the clock...have you ever seen and "emergency signal lamp"? I gotta have an emergency signal lamp!

Hullo Will

Zsondabrain says he will look for an antenna mast for me. If however you have one I can purchase I won't complain. I purchased a very expensive used antenna on ebay and have fitted it. It works, but is not as good a unit as mine. The steel mast has a crimp in it for example. It is also different in size compared to mine.

I posted details in a recent Post, but you can see details in attached photos. The Steel section is 30cm (12inch) long when retracted. It has five sections and is 126cm (42") long when extended. The white chord has a metal section crimped to it with a split pin through it for attachment to the drive mechanism.

26th-Z

I have brackets on my left hand side panel (passenger) side, one of which may have had an emergency light fitted - now empty. The other one has a red cannister which is an emergency flare I believe - it is in place!!

I have attached a photo to show you the cannister. You might note the Japanese date stamp also!!

I certainly would have appreciated inheriting the emergency torch, but unfortunately that didn't happen. I cannot recall if similar items were fitted to my original 1971 240Z when I bought it new.

Regards, Jack

post-13517-14150800183358_thumb.jpg

post-13517-14150800183827_thumb.jpg

post-13517-14150800184272_thumb.jpg

post-13517-14150800184728_thumb.jpg

Hullo Will

I have the Rally Clock installed, and the Oscillator which has been in and out of the car several times as I ponder what to do about its non-function. Someone suggested to me that a smart electronics person should be able to repair, but I have no idea where to find that person.

Recently I reconnected the Oscillator, it "hummed/buzzed" a little and the clock worked for several seconds. I thought the magic fairies had arrived and the Oscillator was alive, but no such luck.

It will be interesting to learn if the Oscillator can be repaired. Until mine is a goer I cannot tell if the clock is OK. It is all fairly frustrating.

Regards, Jack